Used 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Nickle and Dime
By misterk5

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the way the car drives. The handling and performance in snow are great. That being said, this car is an absolute nightmare for maintenance. Head gaskets, catalytic converter replaced and needs another catalytic converter because no one can figure out why the car is burning up catalytic converters. Have also replaced the coil pack, which was not cheap. I'm going back to Honda as soon as I can.

Favorite Features

As said above, the car drives great. That's where it ends.

Suggested Improvements

How about making a reliable vehicle Subaru! Your vehicles are notorious for head gasket and catalytic converter failures and you do nothing to help your customers out. Repairs are thousands of dollars. I will never buy another Subaru product again. Toyota and Honda know how to make reliable vehicles, maybe Subaru should learn something from them.

Won't buy this again
By julie

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a Toyota 4 runner to Subaru LL Bean. I am highly disappointed. The leather seats are very cold in the winter until they warm up. Because of the heater design, my legs are too hot in summer and too cold in winter. The air just doesn't circulate down there. It comes out at chest level only. Passengers in the back seat freeze. The exterior paint job is very bad. It scratches incredibly easy. The windshield takes forever to thaw. It handles well in small amounts of snow but not in anything over 6 inches.

Favorite Features

I love the heated side mirrors and how it handles in the snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Might need to re think the heater so it spits out more heat and air conditioning on the feet.

Lacking Quality 2006
By Robdisc1

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Subaru's main problem is its HESITATION on take off. It has about a 2 second hesitation when pulling out after pressing the gas pedal. Dangerous to plan your entrance into heavy traffic. Seems a bit life threatening. Also, the roof rack whistles pretty loud. I also get a burnt oil smell as it warms up. Lastly it gets door dings very easily. I've had a new car every year for the last 9 years. This one is the worst. The dealer told me the hesitation problem is being worked on by Subaru and I'd be notified; that was 8 months ago.

Favorite Features

The 4WD is awesome! It has pretty good power, and is set up nice inside.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the hesitation before it kills someone. MPG is horrible, avg 22 mpg. Also others tell me that is their average. Better quality side panels and guards against door dings. Fix the roof rack whistling noise.

Great Safe Family Car/SUV
By BiggLou55

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

If you have 0, 1 or 2 children and/or pets, this is a GREAT car. We looked at many different vehicles in this price range and found that the Forester fit our needs, lifestyle and budget as well as being the best of the cars we test drove. The power of the 2.5L boxer is adequate, but not as sporty as we would have liked. If you want more power, get the XT model, but we chose the comfort over the power and we made the right choice for us. Overall, we are extremely happy with our Forester, and we will definitely buy another.

Favorite Features

Seats, visibility, sun roof, cargo space, all-wheel drive, styling.

Suggested Improvements

5-speed auto w/man shift, auto on/off headlamps, more interior lighting with sunroof, aux audio jack standard, more power in base engine.

Strong Competitor
By Secure Feeling

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fine small SUV choice. Very solid build. Excellent crash test scores. View is clear and unobstructed. Has good acceleration. The leather interior and wood steering wheel are nice touches. It doesn't sit so high as to make it difficult for some to get into and out of, similar to a car. This is my 3rd Subie, and they've all been tanks in winter driving. The gas mileage is a plus also.

Favorite Features

View, safety features, ease of getting into and out of, large moonroof, weather band, fuel economy, smooth car like ride, great for snow covered roads. Overall looks of exterior. This vehicle feels secure, it's well built. Subie's have a reputation of being built to last, and they are.

Suggested Improvements

Audio - some controls / buttons are small and hard to find, vanity mirrors should light up, glove box and center console should light up, should have arm rests for front seats, rear window should open separately from door, would be nice to have audio controls on steering wheel.