Used 2006 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

The Forester Makes It's Way
By Richard Voigt

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car is very reliable and safe. That should be important to you. No regrets after 10 years of ownership. This car is a real gem.

Super Subaru
By Janette Davis

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Of the numerous cars I have owned, this is the third Subaru I have owned. This one is number two on my favorites list. Last one met its end after more 200,000 miles. I still miss it. This one was a fair replacement, but the interior got it share of wear and tear. The old one held up to the same conditions that this one failed to work with. I have dogs, their claws did not make a dent in the last one, this one showed their affects right away. Other than that and the Cruise Control issue, it is a great car. The storage room in the back has been very useful. It is strong enough to pull other cars out of the mud. The back seats fold up so you have even more room and there is a cover for the back storage so no one can see what you are hauling if you have something you want to keep out of sight.

Watch those big ticket repairs.
By James Bond

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No surprise here but this car is amazing in bad weather. I love driving this car in the snow, wind, rain and I feel very safe and secure while doing so. My main beef with this car is that it has about 140000 miles on it and I'm going to have to let it go because it needs some very pricey repairs. Repairs: -Head gaskets are leaking. It's basically a time bomb and I was quoted $1800 to replace the gaskets. -My front differential blew up. Luckily they found a used one and I didn't need to replace transmission. This cost me $2000 and it left me stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night. -3 wheel bearings ($300 each i believe) -Now my transmission is slipping. My gas mileage dropped from 22 to 17mpg. I feel like it's a matter of time before I do need to replace the transmission and that won't be worth paying since it will cost nearly what the car is worth. -I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at 100k miles. Standard procedure but just be aware if this has been done or not around that mileage as it cost about $1000. I have not had very many small repairs. It's been a fairly reliable car other than the above big ticket issues. I've noticed a lot of used Foresters around the same year are around that 130k mile mark so I'm guessing this is sort of the point in these cars life where you either dump a ton of money into it or sell it.

Nickle and Dime
By misterk5

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the way the car drives. The handling and performance in snow are great. That being said, this car is an absolute nightmare for maintenance. Head gaskets, catalytic converter replaced and needs another catalytic converter because no one can figure out why the car is burning up catalytic converters. Have also replaced the coil pack, which was not cheap. I'm going back to Honda as soon as I can.

As said above, the car drives great. That's where it ends.

How about making a reliable vehicle Subaru! Your vehicles are notorious for head gasket and catalytic converter failures and you do nothing to help your customers out. Repairs are thousands of dollars. I will never buy another Subaru product again. Toyota and Honda know how to make reliable vehicles, maybe Subaru should learn something from them.

Snow machine
By ehibma

2006 Subaru Forester Wagon 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a solid machine, minus the head gasket issues. I did have to replace the head gaskets, but otherwise a great, reliable vehicle. This is my second Forester.

AWD, gas mileage.

More adjustability of the seats. My wife doesn't find the passenger seat position comfortable. I would love to see a diesel engine in the US!

• SUV