2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2006 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

Snow machine
By ehibma

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a solid machine, minus the head gasket issues. I did have to replace the head gaskets, but otherwise a great, reliable vehicle. This is my second Forester.

Favorite Features

AWD, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustability of the seats. My wife doesn't find the passenger seat position comfortable. I would love to see a diesel engine in the US!

Great Practical Vehicle
By spartikus

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 76000 miles on it. It runs and drives like a new one! The AWD feature is amazing in the snow and on ice. The interior is a little cheap, but its not bad. It is a perfect car for us as we have one infant whose carseat sits in the middle of the rear seat. The boxer motors are bulletproof and as far as people saying it is like a rollercoaster.....its an AWD vehicle. There is going to be an obvious deceleration when going through gears. There is more friction to keep power to all wheels. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

AWD, Boxer engine, Easy to work on and do your own services.

Best no compromise automobile
By rootsmanuva82

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The Subaru Forester XT is quite possibly the best no compromise automobile you can buy. The XT combines WRX power, refined and responsive rally-bred handling and grip, smooth ride, comfort, safety and AWD versatility. Build quality is excellent and interior is very "bright" and airy with huge windows and a massive sunroof. Everything you touch is high quality. The XT builds speed with ease and goes down the highway like butter. The only con I can think of is so-so fuel economy. But with the performance you get, its expected.

Possibly the most functional car....not the best looking
By dukedokken

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I've been the sole wonder of my 06 Forester XT. There's been a few times when I've wanted to trade it for something different to switch it up, but it's almost impossible because you feel like you're getting less of a car. Pros. Panoramic Sunroof, heated leather seats, handles all real world weather conditions, reliable, XT is VERY fast, quiet, good sound system. reliable Cons maintenance can be pricey

OUR FIRST SUBARU
By awporbb1

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 for my wife when it was a yr old w/25000 miles. My wife was a home hospice nurse @ the time, and traveled everyday to patients homes. Even during the bad snow stom of 2008, she made all her visits without even one slip, slide, or getting stuck. Had performed SUPERBLY during bad winter weather. You'll be glad you bought a Saburu with AWD. A very secure feeling. In fact, we;re picking up ou 2011 Subaru outback tomorrow for ME.

Favorite Features

Handling in bad weather

Subaruy
By realreview

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

FXT is a great example of a Subaru. It's not perfect but it makes you happy. Don't know what else gives you what the manual/turbo Forester has for a reasonable price. But I like and bought because of ride height, performance, utility, reliability. I prefer this to my 04 wrx and 05 legacy GT. If you are thinking about this car things you get are: great visibility, ride height, 4wd, utility, reliability, performance (as easy or easier than wrx to mod if you want to). Things you'll have to live with: ugly (it is but its ok) gas mileage (good for what it is but not amazing), bit of wind noise. Not perfect but just does everything and makes you happy.

Favorite Features

Does everything, no one knows what it is. Power - 5.x sec to 60, awd, space, simplicity. Huge sunroof, htd seats

Suggested Improvements

add refinement (they did w/ 09+ but need to make it w/ manual)

Love Everything but the Mileage
By Indaburgh

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great car. Pickup is exceptional for a four cylinder. A little on the small side in the seating area. Impressed with how much cargo space it has.

Favorite Features

AWD. Pickup and control.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is pitiful. I regret it. Maybe that is why the original owner got rid of it. Only getting 16 in the city. Shame shame.

Would buy another one
By Venator

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Forester for a little over 4 years now. It has served me well in the city and on back-country roads. It does an excellent job in ice and snow, is easy to park, and carries a lot of gear. With the XT package it has more than enough pick up and is a lot of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Performance, flexibility of use - a little bit of everything from small SUV to sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof mechanism is notoriously unreliable (dealer replaced my for free even though it was out of warranty); needs heated side view mirrors; needs better rear cup holders; headlights should be easier for the owner to replace (as designed the entire assembly has to be removed).

My first Subaru
By hairdog

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just purchased a used Subaru forester on Monday, just three days ago. I am completely surprised at the quality and power that this 4cyl has. I was driving a V6 and this is much more responsive and quicker. This is my first Subaru. I have owned nothing but American cars before. In just three days I would say that I'm a convert for life, not just only based on my mere three days but on other Subaru owners that have told me their experiences. I love my Forester and can't wait to actually feel safe while driving in bad winter conditions. FOR ONCE! I highly recommend it to all. Buy a Subaru and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Power, Comfort, road feel, climate control, user friendly, good overall gas mileage, It feels like a full size SUV and handles like a sports car.

Disappointing Experience
By Jason Tylers

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car new and loved it at first. Within the first year the sunroof malfunctioned and would take several attempts to close. End of year 1 door lock broke. Year two car began leaking in the rain. End of year two engine light came on and car has spent more time in the shop than on the road. Subaru has not been able to fix the problem. At this point I am forced to consider legal options. I will never buy another Subaru again.

Favorite Features

Great handling, fun to drive, fantastic power.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality is poor, reliability has been very disappointing for a car of this price.