Wolf in sheep's clothing
By JSBuck on
2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)
After sampling other small SUV's, I was "sold" on the XT two minutes into the test drive. This vehicle is near ideal (for me): high performance (blazing acceleration, great handling), safety, exceptional build, roomy, well thought out interior, comfortable, good sound system and marvelous technology. Gas mileage is fair to middling: 20 in the city and 24 on the open road. Still ... a small price to pay for exceptional performance. After seven months, I still look forward every day to driving this machine. It is that much fun to drive! How many people can say that?
Favorite Features
Turbo boxer engine with symmetrical all-wheel-drive give a great feeling that few other vehicles can match. The transmission distributes torque to the wheels -or wheel!- that need it. It even shifts torque to the rear wheels upon acceleration. And the torque is amazing 235 lb.ft.!
Suggested Improvements
I haven't experienced any problems with the tires, but I have only driven in the rain twice. Some XT owners have indicated that better tires are in order for this Subie. I think a five-speed automatic would help with the gas mileage, But I would not mess with the current gearing.