Great Sleeper
By Corkfish on
2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
With 10,000 miles on the clock, I've had no problems. The car was just what I was looking for because I wanted something that was fun to drive and offered serious (not just spirited) performance, but in a plain jane package. I'm 45 and conservative so I did not want a sports car, muscle car or anything else that would attract a lot of attention. There isn't anything out there that offers so much versatility and performance for the money. AWD, 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds, and you can carry a big TV in it. No, you won't be blowing the doors off of Mustangs or 350Z's, but it's pretty amazing that they won't blow your doors off either.
Favorite Features
Torque, a quarter mile down near 14 seconds, AWD. The plain styling with this kind of performance is what attracted me to it immediately.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission gearing in the 5 speed is odd. I like the 444:1 final drive, but first gear is so short it's almost not neccessary. There is no road feel through the steering. Steering feels overboosted. Suspension is rolly poly so the handling is not up to the performance capabilities. OEM tires suck.