2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Mom-mobile (that Dad likes, too!)
By susanw on 05/16/05 15:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 1987 Volvo 240 died. Dilemma - how to replace a tank without going over to the dark side (SUV)? I did a lot of research to find the perfect car for my needs - top safety marks; enough room for 3 kids, backpacks, a dog and a trombone; great sight lines/no blind spots; good handling in winter and rainy conditions; and under $22,000. I did NOT want an SUV, as I consider them evil and everything bad America stands for. Ahem. OK, I know the Forester is considered a 'small SUV' by most reviewers, but it uses the Impreza car base, so it snuck in under the SUV-dar. And I'm grateful it did - this car is just about perfect for anyone for whom safety is key. Check out the crash tests.

Subaru for ever.
By Josef Goralik on 05/04/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After thorough research on Edmunds, talking to friends and comparing with RAV-4, CR-V, Audi and Escape, Subaru came out clear first for the money spent and buying experience.

The Best Small SUV
By Bob on 04/28/05 23:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is hands down the best small SUV available on the market today. Great performance and excellent MPG for an AWD vehicle. Drove all of the competitors extensively and NONE of them comes close to the quality/features/performance and bang for the buck of the Forester. Feels extremely safe and secure on the road, yet is very fun to drive and a pleasure to ride in. I have owned many vehicles, and this is by far my favorite.

This SUV is versatile
By Mickey on 04/17/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We purchased an XT in Jan '05 and the biggest problem is keeping our eyes on the road. It is so quick I keep taking my eyes off of the road to check the speedometer. I researched vehicles for over a year and test drove a few and narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot and CRV, Volkswagen Passat and Toyota RAV4 and Highlander. All are acceptable choices but I'm happy with the Subaru. This XT is as fun to drive as my early version of the Toyota MR2 and and my wife's Audi A4 and hugs the road like a true all wheel drive vehicle. It handles like a car and is versatile. We didn't want a huge SUV that couldn't fit in the garage but a fun to drive car. It is perfect for me. I highly recommend it

Driving the Forester
By Frank Costanzo on 04/16/05 10:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It's the perfect car for me. Short runs with an occasional long run. Good on gas. Fun to drive. Dashboard layout great. I like all the little amenities that come with this model such as storage spaces, seat adjustments, locking mechanism, etc. All well thought out and executed. Highly recommended for my type of driving.

Just what I wanted
By car37 on 04/09/05 14:00 PM (PDT)

I am very pleased with my Forester XT. It is fun to drive, just the right size, nicely designed though not flashy. The right price/value for the overall package. I will upgrade tires, battery and brakes when the time comes to replace for better performance and on battery for stronger starts in cold weather. I have gained a number of paint chips on the front (in 5.5 months which I'm not happy about and need to get fixed. I wonder if I should install a "clear bra" or some other type of paint protection. I also wish I'd purchased the cargo nets for the back to hold basics like extra washer fluid. I'd buy another one for sure!

Highly Recommended
By Steve H on 04/05/05 12:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Being a previous truck owner, not sure why I waited to test drive a Subaru...now I don't want to drive anything else; 30 mpg, room for three pasengers and gear, off-road ability (had it in the mountains last week, got dirty quick, snow and mud couldn't stop it) and an overall driveability like no other vehicle I have ever had. It grips the road no matter what the weather is and let's not forget the five star crash rating.This vehicle has it all!

2005 Forester
By Bryan on 04/04/05 20:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Moonroof (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had the ability to side-by-side compare a new CR-V against my new Forester because my mother-in-law bought a Honda two months before I bought the Subaru. She drove my Subaru a half dozen times & wishes she had got the Subaru in hindsight! She does love the fact tha ther Honda CR-V is known for excellent reliability. My opinion in comparison - both cars are practical and fun to drive. I feel the Subaru has a bit better finish and a more solid feel to it. The spare belongs in the car, Honda. I'm partial to the aesthetic of the Subaru, but that too is subjective. Handling is another matter though, no subjective opinion here - the Subaru just handles better. Both need better MPG!

Fun, Safe and practical
By Giantomaso on 04/03/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very car-like. Extremely responsive for what is considered an SUV. Fuel ecomomy is good considering it is on all-time AWD. CR-V is only part-time AWD and has similar MPG. Excellent fit and finish. Most extras included in price, whereas Toyota and Honda get you with the extra options (resulting RAVs and CR-Vs more expensive than the Forester with the same options).

Finding Forester
By ksub on 04/01/05 19:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In looking for a smaller SUV for my wife, the search really came down to a CR-V or Forester. The key decision points were full-time AWD, top safety scores, and price. Little things like heated seats, 6-disc CD, and auto climate were nice too. Also, and more subjective, this vehicle handles much more carlike - very nimble with good visibility. This vehicle also creates confidence with it's great traction - on road or off. I really think this is a well-engineered and well-built vehicle.