Used 2005 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Subaru will get you there and back...
By LISA CARNAHAN

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester is an excellent car over all. However, in the 2nd month of ownership a fuse blew controlling the rear brake lights. This was unknown to the driver until pulled over by police, creating a very embarrassing & dangerous situation. Car would be better if it had a warranty like an Isuzu.

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof, fuel economy is fabulous, interior is super, extremely easy to navigate in traffic and parallel park. It climbs California hills like a billy goat on steroids.

Suggested Improvements

An on board gps system, OnStar, front seat that folds forward. Redesign inside to complement a mobile office. Defrostable windshield. Make it in a diesel for even better gas mileage.

Want to love it, but can't.
By scoobiephobe

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car, the look, the capabilities. We are very disappointed with the early head gasket leak. This weakness, as I later found out, is a common problem to this engine model. Keep in mind this car only has 9,000 miles on it. The transmission is also a weak spot. It seems to hunt constantly and will hesitate to engage. We will not be keeping this car past warranty. There are websites devoted to the problems we've had, I wished we had done a little more research before we bought. Most reviews for this car were excellent. We have had good dealer treatment so far regarding our concerns. We really like the car, too bad we can't keep it the 10 years we wanted to.

Favorite Features

Cold weather package on XS model. All wheel drive. Automatic headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Tinted glass option. Less sensitive key fob. Better drivetrain reliability and function. Better fuel mileage.

Ok, but lacking in certain areas.
By Mister R

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a AWD SUV and didn't want another monster (I had a Tahoe) and had options that were a must. The Forester seemed like a good compromise. Or so I thought. I bought it sight unseen based on reviews and comparisons. BIG mistake. The suspension is such that you feel every pebble in the road as if it were a boulder. Driving noise invades the interior and the gas mileage is no where near what I had expected. At 6'4 and 250 this is clearly the wrong vehicle for me. My right leg rubs against the console and steering wheel. I have to put the seat all the way back and down to accommodate my height - but then have to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Under powered and transmission slips.

Favorite Features

Visibility is excellent 360. Sound system is superb. Hugs every curve and handles well in all weather. Heated seats are a great plus. Bigger sunroof than in any of the larger vehicles I've had. Leather interior - well done and very comfortable. Rear area can accommodate more cargo than it appears to.

Suggested Improvements

Extendable steering wheel. Sun visors are virtually useless as they hit the handle on the side and cover only half of the window - need a built in extension. Interior lighting is awful. Remote unlock button is too big - anything in your pocket will activate it. Drivers door must be manually unlocked.

My Forester XT
By Stanley Andrucyk

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Drives fast like a racing car. Great performance. Kinda small but that's just OK. There is no good storage space. Uses premium gas. Loads of fun to drive. It may be the best car that I have had.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats. Nice sunroof. Lots of fun to drive. Fastest car on the block.

Suggested Improvements

It should be cooler looking.

I would buy another one
By DOGFACE

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This CAR is fun to drive. Lots of aftermarket performance options.

Favorite Features

Turbo performance. Great handling on wet roads because of AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank size - only good for about 200-220 miles per tank.