Used 2005 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun Subaru
By John_vree

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall fun car to drive due to 200+ hp. Outstanding in bad weather (Des Moines in January) and lots of acceleration and good handling. We have hauled SUV loads of products from Sam's Club, etc, so interior storage is good. I don't get the 20 mpg from a 2005 4-banger. Highway mpg is about 25. Interior legroom for a 6'2" guy is limited. I guess you can't have it all.

Acceleration and handling are very good and make the car fun to drive.

Improve the MPG and the room for big guys. At 6'2", I have to fold up pretty good to fit in.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
By 99excell

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new 22 months ago and have approximately 43,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle, which is more than I can say for the new domestic models I have bought over the last thirty years. I average about 27.5 MPG and my annual maintenance costs run about $300. I service it regularly with Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and have all other maintenance performed by the dealer. I take comfort in the knowledge that it is one of the safest and most reliable vehicles out there and fully expect to replace it, someday, with another one.

Safety and reliability.

Increase warranty mileage.

Practical with a twist
By NewSubieFan

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

How often do you find a practical vehicle that is tons of fun to drive? This car is my first Subaru and I'm very happy. The cargo compartment holds things I didn't think would fit (I fit an entire Charbroil smoker in there once!). Acceleration is lively. Get the cargo tray - makes cleanup of messy cargo a snap. Mileage on premium fuel (I get about 20 mpg in mixed driving) is a little disappointing but that's what you give up for the HP and the AWD. Mileage is significantly better (22 mpg mixed) with more conservative driving, but that's hard to do in this car. Great dog car with the leather seats and easy access. Impress your friends with the monster sunroof! No problems so far.

Acceleration, cargo capacity, different from most other cars on the road (at least here in Texas), fun (yes, FUN!) to park. You get to laugh at all the other monster-sized vehicles here trying to park in "compact car" spaces. Haha!

Better interior lighting. It's way too dark. Take a cue from VW on this, please! Tinted window option. Standard raised armrest. Better stock tires. These Yokohama Geolander tires STINK and are slippery even on dry roads, detracting from what I think could be great handling in this car.

I love this car.
By Marcia

2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 8 Subarus since 1991. The 2005 L. L. Bean Forester has given me the greatest satisfaction for its practicality, fine interior, and SUV features.

High quality leather. Weather radio/6 CD changer. Auto-dimming mirror. Secure road handling in bad weather. Load leveling.

Get rid of two-tone look. I own the gray version to avoid two-tone. Subaru has already fixed the carpeted rear wheels in the loading area.

Fun and function in one!
By Bob Kelly

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The XT's performance is exceptional, not only the engine response, but the overall handling also. It replaced a M-B E-Class and had big shoes to fill. It hasn't disappointed. Hauling capacity is adequate and it is usually our car-of-choice. No problems in over 15,000 miles.

Engine. Traction on any surface.

Passenger side electric seat.