Used 2005 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS
By 99excell

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new 22 months ago and have approximately 43,000 miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle, which is more than I can say for the new domestic models I have bought over the last thirty years. I average about 27.5 MPG and my annual maintenance costs run about $300. I service it regularly with Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and have all other maintenance performed by the dealer. I take comfort in the knowledge that it is one of the safest and most reliable vehicles out there and fully expect to replace it, someday, with another one.

Favorite Features

Safety and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Increase warranty mileage.

Practical with a twist
By NewSubieFan

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

How often do you find a practical vehicle that is tons of fun to drive? This car is my first Subaru and I'm very happy. The cargo compartment holds things I didn't think would fit (I fit an entire Charbroil smoker in there once!). Acceleration is lively. Get the cargo tray - makes cleanup of messy cargo a snap. Mileage on premium fuel (I get about 20 mpg in mixed driving) is a little disappointing but that's what you give up for the HP and the AWD. Mileage is significantly better (22 mpg mixed) with more conservative driving, but that's hard to do in this car. Great dog car with the leather seats and easy access. Impress your friends with the monster sunroof! No problems so far.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, cargo capacity, different from most other cars on the road (at least here in Texas), fun (yes, FUN!) to park. You get to laugh at all the other monster-sized vehicles here trying to park in "compact car" spaces. Haha!

Suggested Improvements

Better interior lighting. It's way too dark. Take a cue from VW on this, please! Tinted window option. Standard raised armrest. Better stock tires. These Yokohama Geolander tires STINK and are slippery even on dry roads, detracting from what I think could be great handling in this car.

I love this car.
By Marcia

2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 8 Subarus since 1991. The 2005 L. L. Bean Forester has given me the greatest satisfaction for its practicality, fine interior, and SUV features.

Favorite Features

High quality leather. Weather radio/6 CD changer. Auto-dimming mirror. Secure road handling in bad weather. Load leveling.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of two-tone look. I own the gray version to avoid two-tone. Subaru has already fixed the carpeted rear wheels in the loading area.

Fun and function in one!
By Bob Kelly

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The XT's performance is exceptional, not only the engine response, but the overall handling also. It replaced a M-B E-Class and had big shoes to fill. It hasn't disappointed. Hauling capacity is adequate and it is usually our car-of-choice. No problems in over 15,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Engine. Traction on any surface.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side electric seat.

nice vehicle
By mike

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great wagon, got this last year after selling our minivan. Gas mileage is better than expected with the manual. Gets 30 mpg easy on the highway. About 26 city. AWD is great. Solid, well made vehicle. Seats are firm and supportive.

Favorite Features

AWD. MPG. Safety. Love the hill holder clutch. Nice clutch.

Suggested Improvements

Could be wider and a little longer.