Used 2005 Subaru Forester X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great Deal
By The Analog Kid

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car purchase, and for the money, gas mileage, performance, safety, and reliability I am very glad I bought the Forester. Great design, fun to drive, and great in the snow/ice/wet roads. The mountains are no match for this car and I have had no qualms or buyer's remorse. Lots of space, good for highway or city commute. I would recommend Subaru's college graduate program for it too. A lot of car for the money.

Favorite Features

Tan interior, all wheel drive, get-up-and-go, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Standard armrest, better factory stereo, idle sounds rough, but still a solid car

Bad Drivetrain
By Chris

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of head room, fairly fun to drive, but has a loud clunking sound coming out of the transmission when you take off. Also has some bad rattling sounds already coming from the hatchback. Stuff that shouldn't be happening with 12,000 miles on it. This is the second Subaru i have had with drivetrain problems. They are very expensive to fix! I won't be buying another one and will be trading this one off before the warranty runs out. It sure goes through the gas with city driving. I will try a Toyota next, or maybe a Honda.

Favorite Features

The headroom, interior design, looks and fairly fun to drive. The use of space is ok and having a full size spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

The drivetrain and the noisy hatchback. Fuel economy could be better.

Second Forester
By Phil

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2000 Forester and replaced it with the 2005 after looking at CRV, RAV4 and Sportage. Though few visible changes, I can see great improvements over the 2000 model in mileage, acceleration and interior trim. This is my third Subaru and they can't be beat for cold climates.

Favorite Features

AWD, and you can still get a real stick shift. Great choice to trim levels and performance options. Strong owner community to tap into for information.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on the steering wheel would be great.

EPA Mileage Joke
By Bluepassion

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Forester, but the mileage is horrible. After several road trips I am lucky to get 22 MPG. This I find unacceptable. I have been driving like a Grandpa as well. I also find the performance to be sluggish at high speed. I can only muster 108 MPH top end from this car. Pathetic. I will drive it and I am going to start driving it hard. I had hoped for a more economical vehicle. At this juncture I almost should have opted for the Honda.The only reason I dont go back to an Audi is the arrogant price.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, great feel. Goes great in the bad weather!

Suggested Improvements

Better or more honest mileage rating. More power.

After 190,000
By zoneblitz

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 190,000 miles it runs great. Changed the oil every 5K, gone through 3 sets of tires and one brake job 2 weeks ago.

Favorite Features

AWD and big trunk area.

Suggested Improvements

Give the newer model more hip room, for big guys like me it would make the driving even better.