2005 Subaru Forester
By lucasr on
2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I recently purchased a 2005 Forester with 95k miles on it, and will be using it as my college vehicle. It had 2 previous owners and no accidents reported. It appeared to be mechanically sound. So far, it has been an excellent vehicle. The ride is smooth, and it handles nicely. Some complain about power on these vehicles - I have had no issues with power. I drive plenty both in town and in the country where I live. It is excellent in both settings. I have no issues with getting up to speed on the freeway. My gas mileage has been an acceptable 20-22 mpg, and I expect it to be a little better when I take it for my first long trip on the highway. So far, this vehicle has been a joy to own.
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is the cargo capacity. I have already loaded it full of stuff and had no issues hauling stuff around. This vehicle has great visibility even when loaded fully with my camping gear. I have also carried 4 adult passengers with me. They fit comfortably, although the person sitting in the middle sit in the rear was a little cramped. Legroom is adequate. It's also a sharp looking vehicle in the exterior. Subaru's have been known for their wagon look, but this vehicle represents the beginning of the end of that ugly look. It looks unique without looking strange. I am proud to drive it.
Suggested Improvements
My only complaint so far is the road noise. I drive a lot on county roads, and the gravel is certainly loud. The road noise is not an issue in town, but it does seem a little windy on the interstate. The road noise is not a reason to avoid this car. It's advantages as far as reliability, handling, and cargo capacity are significant. I love this car. I plan to have it until I get to around 150k miles, and then I hope to buy a newer Forester. I paid 10,900 for this car. Maintenance so far has been a routine oil change, a new air filter, and of course replacing the all-important timing belt, which was due for a change at 105k miles. All together about 1000 dollars in routine stuff.