Used 2005 Subaru Forester X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

nice vehicle
By mike

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great wagon, got this last year after selling our minivan. Gas mileage is better than expected with the manual. Gets 30 mpg easy on the highway. About 26 city. AWD is great. Solid, well made vehicle. Seats are firm and supportive.

AWD. MPG. Safety. Love the hill holder clutch. Nice clutch.

Could be wider and a little longer.

Bad Drivetrain
By Chris

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of head room, fairly fun to drive, but has a loud clunking sound coming out of the transmission when you take off. Also has some bad rattling sounds already coming from the hatchback. Stuff that shouldn't be happening with 12,000 miles on it. This is the second Subaru i have had with drivetrain problems. They are very expensive to fix! I won't be buying another one and will be trading this one off before the warranty runs out. It sure goes through the gas with city driving. I will try a Toyota next, or maybe a Honda.

The headroom, interior design, looks and fairly fun to drive. The use of space is ok and having a full size spare tire.

The drivetrain and the noisy hatchback. Fuel economy could be better.

reliable car
By bob

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very roomy and handles well for a wagon. The 4wd is awesome. I can't figure out why it doesn't have privacy glass, it's ridiculous that they have not figured that out yet when virtually every other automaker has it. The sun is always shining in my kid's face. And the keyless entry is way too sensitive.

Roomy, trunk space, reliability.

PRIVACY GLASS!

Bad mileage!
By Elizabeth

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car only two months and the mileage is very bad. It is lucky if it gets the 22 mph and it plummets from there if the air conditioner is used. Also, it hesitates on take off, leaving me waiting for VERY clear intersections before accelerating. I'm told it might be better when it is more broken in. Too late. I wish I had gotten another Honda.

Self-dimming rear view mirros, smooth ride.

Better gas mileage and reliable pick- up.

Traded in my Explorer
By Robert

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Explorer for this Forester. Having now driven more than 14000 miles in 6 months, I have saved quite a bit on fuel costs, as well as having the comfort of a smoother ride. It has all the room I need, even when taking extended trips, and it looks good. I caught the dealer at a good time, and they took $4000 off the sticker before my trade.

We had a large snow storm right after I bought my Forester, and with drifts up to the front head lights, I had no problem traveling on the road. I love the AWD.

Put a frame around the windows. Glass on rubber will eventually wear out and allow wind noise.