2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Do these things ever break?
By niclo on 04/26/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Moonroof (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

105k miles and still drives like new! never had a car with this many miles that didn't start to wander around the road or rattle or run bad or something...

Perfect for Petites
By peggym on 01/28/10 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When shopping for a used car, I knew what I wanted. I had to have this car for one reason only. I am only 4'11" and have trouble with visibility when turning to see blindspots and out the back window. This is the ONLY car that I actually feel safe in (and I have test driven MANY!!). It was a toss up between this car and the Mazda3. This one definitely won out for performance and safety features. If you or someone in your life is petite, this is the BEST find for comfortability. My husband who is close to 6 feet tall is just as comfortable driving this car as I am. It's a win-win.

Issues-Cold weather fuel smell
By Mary W on 01/07/10 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased the car used at 30K. With Subaru reputation I wanted one. Bought a turbo because I love to drive! I've been disappointed with the fuel mileage, but felt it was a price to be paid for the performance, which I love! There have been minor integrity issues that are very annoying; fuel door latch and the dashboard glove box latch broken. Glove box expensive to fix...the entire unit has to be replaced, about $160, not nice. However what might take me to another mfg. is the cold weather fuel problem. Strong gas smell in cold weather; no recall on it, but because it is a turbo the fix is about $800!!! Very disappointed.

Great for the money
By Kevin on 11/20/09 12:45 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for the price/gas mileage rating and room for "work stuff" in the back. I did no background checking. Now with 111000 miles logged I have had no problems with this car. I do wish the gas mileage was a bit better but I live in the CO Rockies, lots of hill climbing. I like all the storage compartments but they took those out in the new 2010 model. Too bad. Over all a great car for this class, price & size.

Great small SUV
By aquapong on 03/19/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the Forester while looking for a small SUV. I thought about a Forester several years before, but passed on it. When I came back for another look, I knew it was for me after the test drive. Personally, I love the interior and the I4 engine is good enough for it. It's not going to go roaring down the interstate, but it's got more pep than many other I4's seem to have. I've had it for a year and I'm completely satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a moderately priced small SUV without all the frills. All the usual convenience features are there.

05 Forester 2.5 XS - great in snow if...
By James on 02/26/09 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2005 Forester replaced my old 1991 4WD Mazda MPV. My first winter with the car was a big disappointment as the car didn't handle well in the snow. Hang those wretched Yokohama tires! I replaced them with a set of Michelin HydroRangers, and this car's winter performance is greatly improved! The car has great visibility and entry/exit access for the front seat. Newer models have different option schemes, so I'm a bit in a quandary on selecting a Forester for my wife. I like the power, heated cloth seats. It doesn't look like that's possible on the newer models.

Second Forester
By Phil on 12/29/08 09:58 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2000 Forester and replaced it with the 2005 after looking at CRV, RAV4 and Sportage. Though few visible changes, I can see great improvements over the 2000 model in mileage, acceleration and interior trim. This is my third Subaru and they can't be beat for cold climates.

Too much of a compromise.
By kdburns on 11/29/08 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Rattles, rattles everywhere, so let's go trade it in. This car rattles so much I almost drove it straight to a dealership to trade-in on several occasions. Overall, the Forester is too much of a compromise, it does a lot of stuff okay, but nothing very well. The XT accelerates fast, but doesn't corner to match. The all wheel drive does well on slick roads, but the cheap plastic skid plate will tear off on the first snow berm it finds. 7 inches of clearance is nerve-racking on rocky roads; I was constantly asking myself, "is that rock over 7 inches?" I averaged 25 mpg from a manual XT over 60000 miles. I saw several tanks over 30 mpg, but several tanks well under 20 mpg in city traffic.

Great Car
By Louis C. on 11/15/08 08:45 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had three Subarus and this has to be the best overall package. Not that I've had any problems with the others, but the Forester has it's advantages. Ground clearance being one of the strong points along with handling. You feel really safe and in control. Good brakes, good power and very reliable. This car is underrated.

Wolf in sheeps clothing
By DonE37 on 04/05/08 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Forester new and now with 44,000 plus miles on odometer it has not stumbled once nor had any mechanical problems. My purchase was based mainly on its practicality, power,and sleeper demeanor. It seats 4 comfortably. Can hold loads of cargo, and is fast as a whip. It's 4 wheel drive capability helps put all those turbo ponys to the ground and you giggle with a menacing glee as you rocket forward out of stoplights. Nobody knows that this car screams and that is pure joy. Doesn't look much different than the lesser non turbo foresters, except for hoodscoop and XT badging. I loved pulling away from my brother in his beloved Hemi Dodge Magnum. Priceless, he never saw it coming!