2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Great SUV
By jason vanderpool on 02/05/05 19:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have been looking for a long time for a new car/suv, we have looked at EVERYTHING out there that is the size of the Forester. It came down to the Forester and the RAV4. First,i have to say i am a die hard Toyota fan, I belive the best cars on the road. However the Forester fit more for what we needed. So far the Forester seem to be good, the transmission seems to shift hard and there is a whine out on the freeway but the dealer has said that it is the AWD. Not sure if I belive that, I will do more checking for mysefl. There is one rattle in the dash that IS going to get fixed, Ii hate rattles! All in all I think it will be a good car.

Just bought 1 after a long search
By warden on 02/02/05 07:26 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought one after a long search for a new long distance commuting vehicle that can double as a hauler on the weekends. I selected this over a variety of small SUVs and cars. The Subaru stood out for its room, performance, MPG and price. I drive about 3000 miles a month on the highway and am 6' 3" so many small vehicles didn't fit me. This one does and gets the mpg I need. It also gives me the AWD for bad weather and getting out to the highway over country roads.

Happy Subaru owner
By J on 01/31/05 23:05 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I used to drive a 2750lbs 175HP Nissan Sentra so my new Subaru with 3135lbs 166HP felt a bit sluggish at first. I also test drove an XT but decided to buy X because of the price difference and gas price. After the break-in miles, the car responds much better and I don't feel it's slow at all. In fact, Forester X has more than enough power. The ride is great and the mileage averaged 27MPG so far (80% highway 20% city). The best mileage I got was 34MPG on a 100% highway trip with cruise set at 65MPH. I couldn't believe the mileage and I made sure I calculated right! I hope it improves further since I have only 4000 miles on the odometer.

Great Sleeper
By Corkfish on 01/27/05 09:03 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With 10,000 miles on the clock, I've had no problems. The car was just what I was looking for because I wanted something that was fun to drive and offered serious (not just spirited) performance, but in a plain jane package. I'm 45 and conservative so I did not want a sports car, muscle car or anything else that would attract a lot of attention. There isn't anything out there that offers so much versatility and performance for the money. AWD, 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds, and you can carry a big TV in it. No, you won't be blowing the doors off of Mustangs or 350Z's, but it's pretty amazing that they won't blow your doors off either.

2005 Forester
By Traci on 01/26/05 17:27 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We really enjoy our new car, we love driving Subaru's. We had a Impreza Outback Sport and loved it also but just needed more room for the family.

Great, safe car!
By ??? on 01/21/05 22:09 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Subaru. I need, and can rely on, its all wheel drive. It's very dependable. Nothing bad to say about it except I really don't like the Yokohama tires.

05 2.5 X is dreamy
By jeremy in AZ on 01/15/05 13:27 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I feel I got a lot of car for the money. Has been great in all conditions: highway, snowy weather, muddy backroads, rough and loose jeep- type trails. Lots of cargo room. A nice balance of performance and gas mileage. Yes, the upgraded models have a plusher interior...but the X is bomber as is.

Awesome Ride
By Chris Sososoni on 01/15/05 11:02 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm loving my new 2005 Forester X, Subarujust purchased a week ago. As a college student I drive to and from Troy, New York with a diversion to Burlington, Vermont several times a month. My vehicle has to have the reliability, fuel economy and durability to accomplish what I need. That is why I chose the Subaru Forester to accomplish that goal. This vehicle has a tremendous reputation and a terrific resale value that goes beyond American made cars. I was convinced as I began looking around at the price of the Subaru. The used cars were right up there in value. The more I looked at the Subaruthe more I desired it. Now, I'm driving one and I'm sure glad I am. Test drive one today

Fun Crossover SUV
By BTR on 01/12/05 11:11 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is an awesome crossover SUV. While slightly more expensive than some of its competitors, considering what is included makes it a superior value. This is a truly FUN car / SUV to drive; its peppy engine (largest standard engine in its class) and excellent handling (aided by AWD technology) make it a winner! Lots of room inside, and plenty of storage nooks. A great all-around vehicle - enjoy!

2 Fast 2 Furious
By Johannes on 01/09/05 23:49 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After reviewing the CR-V, RAV-4, and Forester, we decided on the Forester. Not only did my wife agree, but so does Consumer Reports. It was rated their top small SUV. Once we decided on the Forester, I got prices from the internet. There were serious price ranges. Dealers were adding on options and trying to pass them off as necessary items. However, I have found that the only options necessary are the cargo tray, splash guards, and bumper cover. The above options come as a package. After much debate here are the following totals: price $26,100 plus tax & license. I took the $1,500 cash rebate. Bringing the total to $24,600. Seriously shop around to get best deal.