Used 2005 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

SPORTS and Utility
By FXTreme

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just traded my 2003 Mazda Tribute for a 2005 Forester XT. Although the Tribute served us well, it wasn't exactly the "driver's SUV" as it was advertised. I needed a compromise. A car that will give us similar utility as the Tribute but also the driving performance of a sports car. When I test drove the XT, I knew right away that I've found such a car. This car is as quick as it is fast with enough handling and braking to complement such beastly power (I think Subaru underrated the 210 horsepower). I may have sacrificed a little bit of passenger and cargo space, but the amazing performance, better safety rating, and slightly better gas mileage pretty much made up for it and then some.

Blistering acceleration, smooth and quiet engine (maybe too smooth), the peace of mind of having one of the best AWD system in the world, highest safety ratings, and I love listening to that turbo as it spools for instant power, :).

Better sound system, it sounded muffled, better brake feel, how about some privacy glass (tinted windows).

What a car!
By jeeper16

2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has got to be the best handling vehicle that I have ever purchased. It go through the turns like it's on a slot-car track. I've put 2,000 miles on it so far and am getting 28.5 mpg on the highway. City is about 23mpg. The leather seats are firm and comfortable and with the 8- way power driver seat, you do not tire on longer trips. The 6-CD player has decent sound and all of the driver controls are easy to read and reach.

The large power moonroof is fantastic! It almost feels as if you are in a convertible. The symmetrical AWD makes car handle superbly on wet and dry roads. What a blast to drive. Fit and finish are very good as well.

None at this time.

My first Subaru
By bktoy97

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Subaru; I've always driven GMC's but this time, for the gas mileage, we went with this. So far there has been no real disappointments.

I love the extra power the turbo offers, and the premium sound.

Should offer tinted windows and a bigger armrest without buying an extension. Everyone's offering GPS systems; wish it was in this. Windows need to be framed, would make it a little quieter.

GREAT SUV TO DRIVE, BUY, OWN!
By D. Pysh

2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only driven this car 4000 miles so far. We did take it up to Canada and had no problems. Handles great especially on curves and hills. Good gas mileage. I have always driven a v8 and this is my first 4 cylinder. For all you drivers out there with long legs this just might be the vehicle for you! The Forester really surprised me. This was one major plus for me purchasing this SUV. I've turned down tons of vehicles due to front seat leg room. And the back seat leg room doesn't matter much anyway with me driving. The moon roof is huge, lots of storage, bells and whistles a plus. Only gripe is no auto door locks. Have to keep reminding myself to lock the doors. I'll adjust because car is great.

Leg room is my favorite feature. This little SUV has more leg room when driving then most of the bigger SUVs I test drove and I looked for 3 months for a vehicle!

Automatic doors locks would be great. It has everything else you could want.

Traded in my Explorer
By Robert

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Explorer for this Forester. Having now driven more than 14000 miles in 6 months, I have saved quite a bit on fuel costs, as well as having the comfort of a smoother ride. It has all the room I need, even when taking extended trips, and it looks good. I caught the dealer at a good time, and they took $4000 off the sticker before my trade.

We had a large snow storm right after I bought my Forester, and with drifts up to the front head lights, I had no problem traveling on the road. I love the AWD.

Put a frame around the windows. Glass on rubber will eventually wear out and allow wind noise.