2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Too much of a compromise.
By kdburns on 11/29/08 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Rattles, rattles everywhere, so let's go trade it in. This car rattles so much I almost drove it straight to a dealership to trade-in on several occasions. Overall, the Forester is too much of a compromise, it does a lot of stuff okay, but nothing very well. The XT accelerates fast, but doesn't corner to match. The all wheel drive does well on slick roads, but the cheap plastic skid plate will tear off on the first snow berm it finds. 7 inches of clearance is nerve-racking on rocky roads; I was constantly asking myself, "is that rock over 7 inches?" I averaged 25 mpg from a manual XT over 60000 miles. I saw several tanks over 30 mpg, but several tanks well under 20 mpg in city traffic.

Great Car
By Louis C. on 11/15/08 08:45 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had three Subarus and this has to be the best overall package. Not that I've had any problems with the others, but the Forester has it's advantages. Ground clearance being one of the strong points along with handling. You feel really safe and in control. Good brakes, good power and very reliable. This car is underrated.

Wolf in sheeps clothing
By DonE37 on 04/05/08 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Forester new and now with 44,000 plus miles on odometer it has not stumbled once nor had any mechanical problems. My purchase was based mainly on its practicality, power,and sleeper demeanor. It seats 4 comfortably. Can hold loads of cargo, and is fast as a whip. It's 4 wheel drive capability helps put all those turbo ponys to the ground and you giggle with a menacing glee as you rocket forward out of stoplights. Nobody knows that this car screams and that is pure joy. Doesn't look much different than the lesser non turbo foresters, except for hoodscoop and XT badging. I loved pulling away from my brother in his beloved Hemi Dodge Magnum. Priceless, he never saw it coming!

Fast, Tough, and Versatile
By Nick on 11/22/06 13:57 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With a little one on the way, we wanted something a little bigger with that still offered reasonable mileage. Went with the TURBO due to our high altitude (7200ft) and plethora of mountains. Very peppy with our AVG MPG of 22-24. On backpacking trips we've taken it on unmaintained roads that are difficult to walk much less drive over. Our Forester handles them amazingly well. No problems to report. We change the oil every 3K and wash it every couple of weeks, that's it. We bought a 15 cu.ft. Thule box for long road trips. Fits great on the factory roof rack. The ride is much quieter than the '05 CR-V and the climate control had no problem with 115+ heat of Death Valley. We're very happy with it!

Fun Subaru
By John_vree on 09/12/06 19:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall fun car to drive due to 200+ hp. Outstanding in bad weather (Des Moines in January) and lots of acceleration and good handling. We have hauled SUV loads of products from Sam's Club, etc, so interior storage is good. I don't get the 20 mpg from a 2005 4-banger. Highway mpg is about 25. Interior legroom for a 6'2" guy is limited. I guess you can't have it all.

Practical with a twist
By NewSubieFan on 08/02/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

How often do you find a practical vehicle that is tons of fun to drive? This car is my first Subaru and I'm very happy. The cargo compartment holds things I didn't think would fit (I fit an entire Charbroil smoker in there once!). Acceleration is lively. Get the cargo tray - makes cleanup of messy cargo a snap. Mileage on premium fuel (I get about 20 mpg in mixed driving) is a little disappointing but that's what you give up for the HP and the AWD. Mileage is significantly better (22 mpg mixed) with more conservative driving, but that's hard to do in this car. Great dog car with the leather seats and easy access. Impress your friends with the monster sunroof! No problems so far.

Fun and function in one!
By Bob Kelly on 06/21/06 16:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The XT's performance is exceptional, not only the engine response, but the overall handling also. It replaced a M-B E-Class and had big shoes to fill. It hasn't disappointed. Hauling capacity is adequate and it is usually our car-of-choice. No problems in over 15,000 miles.

Lots of car for the money
By Scott on 08/22/05 03:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased the Forester for my daily commute of 100 miles a day round trip. I gave up a perfectly good running Honda with 260K miles for the Forester and with the exception of gas mileage, I am very happy. The Honda was a consistent 32-36 mpg and this is around 24-26 on the highway, but with premium gas. Doing the math, that is comparable to 22-24 mpg running regular fuel. The car is FAST, fun to drive, practical, reliable (the Forester is built in Japan) and an excellent value for the money when compared to other vehicles. My ONLY complaint is the gas mileage. I would expect a little better with a 4 cylinder engine, but then again it's a turbo and AWD. Passing on the highway is done with ease.

Forester XT
By Mike C on 06/16/05 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this auto wanting the performance of a sedan and the cargo capacity of a mid-sized SUV. I feel that the XT has the "sports car performance" and SUV attributes that are equal or better than other autos in its class. Similar to the performance is the quality of the powerplant and drivetrain. I feel that the Forester XT has the quality and longevity that will make it enjoyable for many years to come.

Great Sleeper
By Corkfish on 01/27/05 09:03 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With 10,000 miles on the clock, I've had no problems. The car was just what I was looking for because I wanted something that was fun to drive and offered serious (not just spirited) performance, but in a plain jane package. I'm 45 and conservative so I did not want a sports car, muscle car or anything else that would attract a lot of attention. There isn't anything out there that offers so much versatility and performance for the money. AWD, 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds, and you can carry a big TV in it. No, you won't be blowing the doors off of Mustangs or 350Z's, but it's pretty amazing that they won't blow your doors off either.