Used 2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Perfect for Petites
By peggym

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When shopping for a used car, I knew what I wanted. I had to have this car for one reason only. I am only 4'11" and have trouble with visibility when turning to see blindspots and out the back window. This is the ONLY car that I actually feel safe in (and I have test driven MANY!!). It was a toss up between this car and the Mazda3. This one definitely won out for performance and safety features. If you or someone in your life is petite, this is the BEST find for comfortability. My husband who is close to 6 feet tall is just as comfortable driving this car as I am. It's a win-win.

LOOVE the wide windows and oversize moonroof for excellent visibility for blindspots - great for night-driving, too!

The 6-CD changer broke immediately after my purchase and it cost an arm and leg to fix. I'll stick with the radio. The dashboard rattles and buzzes which can be very annoying on long trips. Lots of road noise...this is NOT a quiet car.

Kicken off road
By Going anywhere

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great visibility, excellent handling, zips along at 70+ and still gets 27MPG or higher. The Forester is the real deal when it comes to all wheel drive, sand, mud, snow; you can't seem to stop this thing.

Off road driving in loose beach sand!

Windshield wipers should overlap on the passenger side, not the drivers side.

I love this car.
By Marcia

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 8 Subarus since 1991. The 2005 L. L. Bean Forester has given me the greatest satisfaction for its practicality, fine interior, and SUV features.

High quality leather. Weather radio/6 CD changer. Auto-dimming mirror. Secure road handling in bad weather. Load leveling.

Get rid of two-tone look. I own the gray version to avoid two-tone. Subaru has already fixed the carpeted rear wheels in the loading area.

Subaru will get you there and back...
By LISA CARNAHAN

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester is an excellent car over all. However, in the 2nd month of ownership a fuse blew controlling the rear brake lights. This was unknown to the driver until pulled over by police, creating a very embarrassing & dangerous situation. Car would be better if it had a warranty like an Isuzu.

Huge sunroof, fuel economy is fabulous, interior is super, extremely easy to navigate in traffic and parallel park. It climbs California hills like a billy goat on steroids.

An on board gps system, OnStar, front seat that folds forward. Redesign inside to complement a mobile office. Defrostable windshield. Make it in a diesel for even better gas mileage.

Ok, but lacking in certain areas.
By Mister R

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a AWD SUV and didn't want another monster (I had a Tahoe) and had options that were a must. The Forester seemed like a good compromise. Or so I thought. I bought it sight unseen based on reviews and comparisons. BIG mistake. The suspension is such that you feel every pebble in the road as if it were a boulder. Driving noise invades the interior and the gas mileage is no where near what I had expected. At 6'4 and 250 this is clearly the wrong vehicle for me. My right leg rubs against the console and steering wheel. I have to put the seat all the way back and down to accommodate my height - but then have to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Under powered and transmission slips.

Visibility is excellent 360. Sound system is superb. Hugs every curve and handles well in all weather. Heated seats are a great plus. Bigger sunroof than in any of the larger vehicles I've had. Leather interior - well done and very comfortable. Rear area can accommodate more cargo than it appears to.

Extendable steering wheel. Sun visors are virtually useless as they hit the handle on the side and cover only half of the window - need a built in extension. Interior lighting is awful. Remote unlock button is too big - anything in your pocket will activate it. Drivers door must be manually unlocked.