2005 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
After 190,000
By zoneblitz on 05/10/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 190,000 miles it runs great. Changed the oil every 5K, gone through 3 sets of tires and one brake job 2 weeks ago.

Great small SUV
By aquapong on 03/19/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the Forester while looking for a small SUV. I thought about a Forester several years before, but passed on it. When I came back for another look, I knew it was for me after the test drive. Personally, I love the interior and the I4 engine is good enough for it. It's not going to go roaring down the interstate, but it's got more pep than many other I4's seem to have. I've had it for a year and I'm completely satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a moderately priced small SUV without all the frills. All the usual convenience features are there.

Second Forester
By Phil on 12/29/08 09:58 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2000 Forester and replaced it with the 2005 after looking at CRV, RAV4 and Sportage. Though few visible changes, I can see great improvements over the 2000 model in mileage, acceleration and interior trim. This is my third Subaru and they can't be beat for cold climates.

Disappointed
By Drapley on 10/11/07 18:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 1998 Forester, and when it went up at 150,000 miles I had no hesitation at buying another. I feel that the 2005 is not as good as my 1998. Already the carpet on the driver side has a big tear (thin carpet), the windows rattle, and the compressor in my ac just went up. And the transmission doesn't shift smoothly. I'll be shopping around for a new manufacturer when this one goes up.

Basic and practical
By Joseph Goralik on 08/21/07 12:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Always wanted to own one but there are hardly any used ones available in So. California. So went out and bought a brand new one. Although basic model, driving in the past 2 years was a pleasant experience. I like the easy self-maintenance, such as oil and filter (cabin and air) changes. Interior is simple and durable. Driving position is very good and handling is fine. Body integrity could be better - a rattle developed in the rear/left without being able to localize the source. The extras that do not come with the car are easily available from Subaru dealers and fairly simply to install. Quality and workmanship is excellent.

nice vehicle
By mike on 04/29/06 15:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great wagon, got this last year after selling our minivan. Gas mileage is better than expected with the manual. Gets 30 mpg easy on the highway. About 26 city. AWD is great. Solid, well made vehicle. Seats are firm and supportive.

Bad Drivetrain
By Chris on 11/25/05 20:02 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of head room, fairly fun to drive, but has a loud clunking sound coming out of the transmission when you take off. Also has some bad rattling sounds already coming from the hatchback. Stuff that shouldn't be happening with 12,000 miles on it. This is the second Subaru i have had with drivetrain problems. They are very expensive to fix! I won't be buying another one and will be trading this one off before the warranty runs out. It sure goes through the gas with city driving. I will try a Toyota next, or maybe a Honda.

reliable car
By bob on 10/11/05 11:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very roomy and handles well for a wagon. The 4wd is awesome. I can't figure out why it doesn't have privacy glass, it's ridiculous that they have not figured that out yet when virtually every other automaker has it. The sun is always shining in my kid's face. And the keyless entry is way too sensitive.

Bad mileage!
By Elizabeth on 08/12/05 16:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car only two months and the mileage is very bad. It is lucky if it gets the 22 mph and it plummets from there if the air conditioner is used. Also, it hesitates on take off, leaving me waiting for VERY clear intersections before accelerating. I'm told it might be better when it is more broken in. Too late. I wish I had gotten another Honda.

Traded in my Explorer
By Robert on 07/19/05 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Explorer for this Forester. Having now driven more than 14000 miles in 6 months, I have saved quite a bit on fuel costs, as well as having the comfort of a smoother ride. It has all the room I need, even when taking extended trips, and it looks good. I caught the dealer at a good time, and they took $4000 off the sticker before my trade.