2005 Subaru Forester XS L.L.Bean Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2005 Forester Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Sort Reviews by

Perfect for Petites
By peggym

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When shopping for a used car, I knew what I wanted. I had to have this car for one reason only. I am only 4'11" and have trouble with visibility when turning to see blindspots and out the back window. This is the ONLY car that I actually feel safe in (and I have test driven MANY!!). It was a toss up between this car and the Mazda3. This one definitely won out for performance and safety features. If you or someone in your life is petite, this is the BEST find for comfortability. My husband who is close to 6 feet tall is just as comfortable driving this car as I am. It's a win-win.

Favorite Features

LOOVE the wide windows and oversize moonroof for excellent visibility for blindspots - great for night-driving, too!

Suggested Improvements

The 6-CD changer broke immediately after my purchase and it cost an arm and leg to fix. I'll stick with the radio. The dashboard rattles and buzzes which can be very annoying on long trips. Lots of road noise...this is NOT a quiet car.

Kicken off road
By Going anywhere

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great visibility, excellent handling, zips along at 70+ and still gets 27MPG or higher. The Forester is the real deal when it comes to all wheel drive, sand, mud, snow; you can't seem to stop this thing.

Favorite Features

Off road driving in loose beach sand!

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wipers should overlap on the passenger side, not the drivers side.

I love this car.
By Marcia

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 8 Subarus since 1991. The 2005 L. L. Bean Forester has given me the greatest satisfaction for its practicality, fine interior, and SUV features.

Favorite Features

High quality leather. Weather radio/6 CD changer. Auto-dimming mirror. Secure road handling in bad weather. Load leveling.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of two-tone look. I own the gray version to avoid two-tone. Subaru has already fixed the carpeted rear wheels in the loading area.

Subaru will get you there and back...
By LISA CARNAHAN

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Subaru Forester is an excellent car over all. However, in the 2nd month of ownership a fuse blew controlling the rear brake lights. This was unknown to the driver until pulled over by police, creating a very embarrassing & dangerous situation. Car would be better if it had a warranty like an Isuzu.

Favorite Features

Huge sunroof, fuel economy is fabulous, interior is super, extremely easy to navigate in traffic and parallel park. It climbs California hills like a billy goat on steroids.

Suggested Improvements

An on board gps system, OnStar, front seat that folds forward. Redesign inside to complement a mobile office. Defrostable windshield. Make it in a diesel for even better gas mileage.

Ok, but lacking in certain areas.
By Mister R

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a AWD SUV and didn't want another monster (I had a Tahoe) and had options that were a must. The Forester seemed like a good compromise. Or so I thought. I bought it sight unseen based on reviews and comparisons. BIG mistake. The suspension is such that you feel every pebble in the road as if it were a boulder. Driving noise invades the interior and the gas mileage is no where near what I had expected. At 6'4 and 250 this is clearly the wrong vehicle for me. My right leg rubs against the console and steering wheel. I have to put the seat all the way back and down to accommodate my height - but then have to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Under powered and transmission slips.

Favorite Features

Visibility is excellent 360. Sound system is superb. Hugs every curve and handles well in all weather. Heated seats are a great plus. Bigger sunroof than in any of the larger vehicles I've had. Leather interior - well done and very comfortable. Rear area can accommodate more cargo than it appears to.

Suggested Improvements

Extendable steering wheel. Sun visors are virtually useless as they hit the handle on the side and cover only half of the window - need a built in extension. Interior lighting is awful. Remote unlock button is too big - anything in your pocket will activate it. Drivers door must be manually unlocked.

I love this car
By Carol Bevis

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I did my research through Edmunds, looked at CR and made my decision to purchase the 2005 Forester LL Bean. It has been a fantastic car, small SUV, perfect for everything. Great sunroof, nice leather seats, all automatic heater/air conditioner, and perfect size cargo area. Fuel mileage city around 26mpg. Can't wait to try the windshield wiper de-icer (actually I could wait). Never had a Subaru before and feel that this one is a true winner.

Favorite Features

The big sunroof and leather seats has to be my favorites. Oh yes, the 6 CD changer too.

Suggested Improvements

Put a few features on the steering wheel.

What a car!
By jeeper16

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has got to be the best handling vehicle that I have ever purchased. It go through the turns like it's on a slot-car track. I've put 2,000 miles on it so far and am getting 28.5 mpg on the highway. City is about 23mpg. The leather seats are firm and comfortable and with the 8- way power driver seat, you do not tire on longer trips. The 6-CD player has decent sound and all of the driver controls are easy to read and reach.

Favorite Features

The large power moonroof is fantastic! It almost feels as if you are in a convertible. The symmetrical AWD makes car handle superbly on wet and dry roads. What a blast to drive. Fit and finish are very good as well.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

GREAT SUV TO DRIVE, BUY, OWN!
By D. Pysh

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only driven this car 4000 miles so far. We did take it up to Canada and had no problems. Handles great especially on curves and hills. Good gas mileage. I have always driven a v8 and this is my first 4 cylinder. For all you drivers out there with long legs this just might be the vehicle for you! The Forester really surprised me. This was one major plus for me purchasing this SUV. I've turned down tons of vehicles due to front seat leg room. And the back seat leg room doesn't matter much anyway with me driving. The moon roof is huge, lots of storage, bells and whistles a plus. Only gripe is no auto door locks. Have to keep reminding myself to lock the doors. I'll adjust because car is great.

Favorite Features

Leg room is my favorite feature. This little SUV has more leg room when driving then most of the bigger SUVs I test drove and I looked for 3 months for a vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Automatic doors locks would be great. It has everything else you could want.

Worthy Audi successor
By Phil C

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

"El Coche Frijol" (The Beanmobile!) replaced our Audi A4q V6 and in 3 months has won our hearts! With its comfortable interior, creature comforts, HUGE sunroof, excellent handling and good gas mileage (the Audi was terrible!) it is hard to beat. We wanted a comfortable, well appointed and nimble AWD car without a premium price tag and it delivers in spades. The combination of the White/Platinum exterior and light tan/beige leather looks very sharp and makes it a good "hot climate" vehicle. Important as we live in Texas!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, 6 CD changer, Weather Band Radio, HUGE sunroof. Ease of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation. Rain gutter.

Forester Fan Forever!
By Tom in FL

2005 Subaru Forester Wagon XS L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a small SUV that just loves you back with its performance, economy, and looks. I have never had a car before where people seeing it just stop and stare and then all nod their heads to their friends! And I thought the Outback was great; it is but the Forester L.L. Bean Edition is a luxury car with a good value price. And I don't want to forget the wonderful service by my Subaru dealer which is seldom needed!

Favorite Features

The ride and handling are super. The exterior/interior could not be better (though I wish arm rest was higher rather than an add-on). Radio and sound system are tops. When moon roof is open, it's so large it's like a convertible. Air deflector does not make noise, either. Get LL Bean/leather.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest needs to be higher as standard.