2005 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
8 Yr Review- My lemon is literally falling apart :(
By truth_b_told on 09/05/13 15:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It has taken me from point A to B and been reliable in that aspect..but Everything Else about it just sucks. Transmission constantly shifts and is starting to slip, Lack of power going through the Rockies, squeaks and rattles galore, horrible wind noise, will barely start in 20 degree weather, paint is chipping away all over the car, plastic interior is flimsy, speakers suck, and the list goes on. It hasn't been terrible, but it hasn't been good. I want to mention I have always garaged the car, maintained it since day one, here in CO we don't use salt on the roads so why the paint issue? It only has 78,000 miles on it. Check Consumer Reports, I'm just waiting for head gasket to blow

Love this car, but...
By kmcglynn on 11/24/12 15:31 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We love our 2005 Forester! It is a ton of fun to drive, and the leatherette interior with heated seats is very good for all of the bad weather we have here in the Pacific Northwest. This is one of the better quality SUVs for the money and the AWD is great!! However I do have one small issue with it. We barely hit 80k miles on our Forester and we already need to get the head gaskets replaced, which have set us back another $2,000. This has been the only problem with the car and it is running perfectly other than this issue, however we did some research and it is a HUGE problem with Subaru engines throughout the lineup. If you can get over that though, this car is definitely worth the money!!

Great first car!
By redrider05 on 08/14/12 06:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my first car, which I got for a steal, considering it has a shocking 192k miles. I was very weary about getting a car with that many miles, but it was the only Subaru available in my budget. Subarus have been in the family for years and I know they are reliable. Whoever had this car before took good care of it. Regular maintenance was done and I found nothing wrong. I've had her for a few weeks and she runs great. I plan on keeping her maintained enough to get another 100k miles. I love my Forester and now I'm making fun of my mother, who drives an Impreza sedan. My car is way cooler then hers.

2005 Subaru Forester
By lucasr on 06/05/12 22:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2005 Forester with 95k miles on it, and will be using it as my college vehicle. It had 2 previous owners and no accidents reported. It appeared to be mechanically sound. So far, it has been an excellent vehicle. The ride is smooth, and it handles nicely. Some complain about power on these vehicles - I have had no issues with power. I drive plenty both in town and in the country where I live. It is excellent in both settings. I have no issues with getting up to speed on the freeway. My gas mileage has been an acceptable 20-22 mpg, and I expect it to be a little better when I take it for my first long trip on the highway. So far, this vehicle has been a joy to own.

160k miles and still going strong
By 160kmiles on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this specifically for long distance commuting on the highway and it's been a great car, 110k miles before I had anything break on it. Great highway mpg 25-26.

Noisy like a Jeep Wrangler
By huhwuuuuut? on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My ownership experience was short, and for good reason. This vehicle is deceivingly small, slow to respond to driver input, and extremely noisy. The windows are prone to extreme wind noise, and there is no good fix for it. Autotragic transmission felt as if it was on life support at 50,000 miles. If you have to buy one of these, look for a stick shift. Gas mileage is decent for an AWD vehicle, I think that I averaged 22-23. If you are looking for a roomy family vehicle, keep looking. My old Honda Civic was bigger than this tin can.

Simply The Best Small SUV
By CC Rider on 08/13/10 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

We've had our Forester XT Turbo for 5 years now and it has over 130,000 miles. It sees hard daily use for both business and personal reasons. In comparing this with other small SUVs which we test drove, like the RAV4, CR-V, Liberty, Highlander and Pilot, there was simply no comparison. It easily out accelerated, braked and handled all the others. The interior has lots of neat little compartments to store everything from pens, pencils, cups, change, glasses, map books and more. The H4 engine performs very well, but tends to use more oil than most fours we've had. Problems at 100,000K have been a new radiator, cam timing belt and power steering pump. Gas mileage is mediocre at 20.

It just keeps going!
By Scuby on 08/10/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car for its size, performance and reliability. I now have over 100K miles on it and it has had no issues and drives like the day I bought it. I will say the OEM tires had to go at about 15K miles. I also installed sport springs and stiffer sway bars. Those simple improvements greatly increased handling. The automatic has performed perfectly but could use a extra gear which would help in the gas mileage. I do get about 25 MPG overall as I do a lot of highway driving. The fits well in my small garage too.

Nice vehicle
By COOL on 06/23/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The AWD is great in the winter. Wife doesn't have to worry about putting the vehicle into 4WD like the Tahoe.

After 190,000
By zoneblitz on 05/10/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 190,000 miles it runs great. Changed the oil every 5K, gone through 3 sets of tires and one brake job 2 weeks ago.