0 for 2 With My Subaru
By Dougie Henson on
2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This was my 2nd Subaru and it will surely be my last. I should have known better after our '93 Legacy wagon broke 2 timing belts, blew a head gasket, and needed both front wheel drive axles replaced-all before 36,000 miles. Nevertheless, I traded it on a new '04 Forester 2.5X because it was the best deal we could get. Never again! The right front wheel well liner came loose and fell out before 10,000 miles. The transmission began to give us trouble at 15,000 miles. The whole car vibrated while turning even though we faithfully had it serviced & the tires rebalanced and rotated every 3,000 miles at the dealers. The windows leaked and whistled in the wind whenever you exceeded 35 MPH. Junk!!!
Favorite Features
There are two things for which I am grateful! One, that despite all of its failures, the Forester lasted long enough until we could save enough $$$ to get rid of it. And two, when we finally unloaded it for a new Ford Escape, we got a relatively good price as a trade.
Suggested Improvements
We returned the Subaru every 3,000 miles to the dealer to have the oil changed, routine maintenance performed, tires rotated, etc. Every time we took it in, they found something that needed to be replaced! It ended up costing us roughly $350 every 3,000 miles just for upkeep. That shouldn't happen!!!