2004 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Expensive parts, noisy on highway,

2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

X Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Expensive parts, noisy on highway, worst car I ever had.
By whatwhatwhat1 on

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009. In three years, I spend $2400 in repairs (rear bearings on both sides, head gasket, rocker bars in the front that were recalled, air conditioner compressor) and when I traded it in today for a 2012 Camry, the turbo was smoking and the transmission was on it's way out too. It had 140K miles. Parts are hard to come by, none of the charging ports worked on it and the check engine light was always coming on, which turned off the cruise control. in three years, I got to use the cruise control once. It was a nightmare to own. It was almost impossible to talk on speakerphone on the highway due to the road noise. and the backseat doesn't have any legroom.

Favorite Features

The leather seats held up better than the rest of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Make better cars, Subaru. This was my first and my last.
By juanmafxt
on 08/06/13 10:57 AM (PDT)

this is not a car to be purchased for reliability or looks. It is the performance bargain of the century and very underrated. I am glad people like you have had bad experience with this type of car to keep that demographic far far away and make them available to us. Turbo cars need to be maintained. Plain and simple. CEL can be an easy fix if you had a scanner. Maybe the code was a thermostat you failed to replace.