2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
It's not a station wagon!
By T-$ on 01/13/05 15:15 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is rock solid. It chews up the lousy road conditions a crummy New England winter can throw at you. No need to shovel your driveway when you have one of these parked in it. This car will crunch its way up the steepest ice covered hill in town. I also love the fact that off the line you can easily smoke those larger SUV's. All of my friends are surprised at the power the Forester has after the take a spin in it. So please people get it straight the Forester XT is not a station wagon - it's a small SUV!

2004 Forester X
By Neal on 01/12/05 16:34 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester X is a wonderfully affordable, versatile everyday driver that is fun to drive. The gas mileage beats almost any other SUV, with the trade off being less power. If power is important, get the XT version. I took this car into foot-deep snow here without snow tires or chains and the X just plowed through it as stable and positive as you could want it. The handling is superb. What I really liked about this car was the price - for what you get, they practically give it away. With rear seats folded down, it handled 2 adults and their luggage for a vacation just fine. With a pet barrier, it takes my 70-lb. dog everywhere. In a nutshell: practical, reliable, versatile, fun, cheap.

Picked a Winner
By Clint Knight on 12/27/04 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I spent almost six months reviewing and analyzing every small and mid size SUV. I purchased every automobile magazine that was available and read all the reviews on the internet. I finally determined that with the price of gas escalating, safety being very important,and quality and reliability being essential the Subaru Forester was the vehicle that made the most sense to me. I purchased it in May of 2004 and have 6,700 miles on it. We just had over a foot of snow yesterday in MA and this SUV treats the snow as if it wasn't there. Clearly, I picked a winner.

I like it more as time goes on
By HJ Wilke on 12/12/04 20:09 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for over 6 months now. I didn't expect the fun to drive aspect I am experiencing, especially when the going gets wet or tricky. I got rid of the Yokohams it came with and installed Goodyear Triple Treads; what a world of difference, Great audio controls. Erratic A/C, can't find a setting that's comfortable.

good all around vehicle
By martyk on 12/08/04 07:55 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

my 04 subaru forester is a wonderful car. awd is fantastic. lots of headroom and front seat legroom. 25k miles and no problems. i fit my office in it, can carry material and my daughter fits in her child safety seat all at the same time. not bad for a small car. awd gives a feeling of total traction in rain and snow. the crash test results seem to be excellent. i hope i never have to test these features.

Try adding a Bilge Blower U'll luv it !
By Trout Terminator on 11/30/04 21:14 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Subaru. They are great and will never leave you stranded, that is including the 1-800 help number. If you want a little more kick, add an inline bilge blower for 25 bucks...take out the air box near the fender and simply add the electric bilge blower with 220 cfm and feel the power increase in the mid range...it's a kick in the pants and you'll notice the difference immediately. Improves gas mileage too/slightly. Lots of good things to say about my Forester and prior Outback. Do yourself a favor and just buy a Subaru and you'll be happy that you did...I love their safety and have seen them after accidents that would have stopped a train in it's tracks. These are safe cars!

A superb vehicle
By lamar14850 on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Subaru Forester XS is totally a thrill to drive! The ride is great, acceleration is more than ample, & it is very comfortable to drive on long trips. I simply love it!

XT 2 Turbo, Hi from Ukraine
By Vladyslav Gavrylenko on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

As everybody knows what Ukraine and Russia have no roads and this car perferct for me, the slogan any road and any time giving 100% feedback, By the way as i see for Ukraine we getting 2 liters and this 177 hp, my car starting much faster than Camry 2.4 and I was winner when i drived with BMW 2.5 :)

Excellent Small SUV
By Rich007 on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Wonderful small SUV. Fast, comfortable, solid and safe. You can't ask for much more.

Fun to drive
By Mark Campbell on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Moves well in the snow is reasonably comfortable on long trips. has ample storage for a vehicle of this size. Gas mileage is horrible. The final drive ratio is far too low. 20 MPG on freeway at 80 miles per hour. Had a Passat GLX that got 26 at same cruising speed with V-6 same basic power. Reliability has been spotless thru 53K miles. Service costs have been very reasonable. Paint is not terribly chip resistant and scratch resistant not up to expectation level. One squeek in the interior since new which is due to dash and a pillar sleeve contact. Wind noise at speed. Engine noise minor. I would buy again