Used 2004 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

I'll keep going back to Subaru!
By JP

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My second Forester was the 2004 and it was such a good, solid car. I've listened to so many "regular car" drivers complain about snow, ice, etc. I never had those problems with this Forester or the one I traded in to get this one (1998). Just traded it in for a Legacy which I love, but I do miss all the storage cubbies in the Forester! I really love the Subaru line - so many things that are "extra" in other brands are "standard" for Subaru, such as carpeted mats, keyless remote, etc. Between that, the AWD, and a good dealership, I'm a Subaru owner for life!

Solid feel; gas mileage; storage cubbies; AWD.

The rear hatch bar that's used to close the back door had some rusting/bubbling of paint. Didn't like the styling of the car; my husband called it a "giant roller skate". Also the Forester had a hard, "truck-like" ride.

I love it! I love it! I love it!
By ejgauthier

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What can I say,still smitten after 5 years! Peppy, reliable, safe, still looks like new with this black leather with white exterior. Big windows make the big sky bigger. BIG sunroof turns my Subie into a convertible. Comfy inside, pleny of room too. Love the sporty driving appeal with low center of gravity yet high clearance. It's the perfect car for the mountains and highways where Canadian winters go on and on and on! Did I mention I loved my SUV(Subie Utility Vehicle).

Sun roof, 6CD stero, weather band, big windows, leather comfort and styling. Protected rocker panels with the moulded lower panels and mudflaps. And OMG the Turbo makes me feel like a NASCAR driver too.

I wished the drivers seat was electic, but I guess Subaru have fixed that in subsequent years. Too bad my car will last so long before I get a new one. Meet me here in another 5 years for the ten year review! LOL

Still in Love 5 years later!
By EJGauthier

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Did my research before buying my Subie. Used to drive 4X4 Cherokee 4.0L. Rented one for a few weeks to test it properly, but it wasn't a turbo. Test drove the new 2004 Turbo and bought it on the spot. Has every feature possible and most accessories. I changeover my tires Winter(use Toyo Walnut shell composite)/Summer( still have my factory tires). The AWD, antilock brakes and low center of gravity has proven to be an extremely stable, safe and solid vehicle for me. I would buy the same again in a NY minute. Love the rearview mirror with autodimmer and compass. Love the weatherband radio! Love leather smells awesome everytime I sit down. Love the great big sunroof, increases my big sky country!

Turbo charged acceleration, interior finish, big windows feels large and minimizes blind spots for 360 degrees. Has the character of a wagon and the feel of a sports car. Autodimmer rearview mirror saves from the bright headlights. Big sunroof, turns subie into a convertible.

I would have liked an electric 8 point drivers seat as I spend a lot of time in there and heaters for my occasional backseat passengers.

Turbo blown
By Disappointed

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used as the dealership reved about the longevity of the Subaru engine. At 135000 KMs the Turbo blew up. Car was always well maintained. Of course with the high miles the warranty had expired (for ileage not age) so no dealership would help. First and last Subaru I'll ever own.

Turbo was super fun (when it worked) and handling in snow with snow tires was great.

In the 5th Year I'm still lovin' Subie
By Elizabeth

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I migrated from a Jeep 6 cyl to the Subaru Forester XT. I was looking for comfort, safety, power, and a great looking ride. I saw my Subie and fell in love. I added the smart mirror and command start, the only two options not already there. The defrosting and seat warmers and that fact my car is smart enough to blow cold air in the winter initially means I never have foggy windows. How much more could I ask for? I'm so glad I made the choice for this head turning vehicle. Each time I fill I am asked about Subie. I draw unusual attention when I cart my 16 foot canoe on top the factory racks.

AWD, turbo, antilock brakes, defrosting, wiper elements front and back, and mirror defrosters, seat heaters, stereo 6CD changer, weatherband radio and finally the big sunroof. I feel like I have a convertible when that's all the way open! Did I mention the cargo room?

I feel sorry for the people who ride in the back seat, no seat heaters there.