2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Forester Turbo
By Carlos on 10/10/06 06:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very good and balanced combination. It is a real AWD, a wagon, a comfortable car, and a sportive machine. Its low center of gravity allow the Forester to have a very safe driving considering the performance of the turbo. In addition this turbo makes it economical (you do not consume much fuel when you do not need much acceleration or speed, but when you need it or want it you have it).

Solid, Safe & Fun to drive
By Dan S. on 08/16/06 13:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Subaru and though I got it used and have only had it for a couple months, I know I made a good decision. The HUGE sunroof is wonderful. Comes with many safety features and this car sticks to the road like glue. I never anticipated it would be so fun to drive, with responsive handling and such a solid road feel. Interior materials look and feel well thought out and well put together - however there aren't many luxurious bells & whistles, just the necessities. If you want fancy features, this isn't the car for you. If you want fun, safety and moderate room for an active lifestyle, you're in the right place. Car is very well thought out, with an eye towards function.

My Subaru
By Marsha on 07/24/06 16:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. I bought it in Nashville, TN prior to a move to Tucson, AZ. Comfort, style, handling...it has it all. I love the way it looks, and people stop me all the time to ask about it. Great ground clearance and headroom. Expansive cargo space and incredible comfort inside. I'll never own anything else.

Unbeatable value for the money
By Ralf A. on 06/04/06 18:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is a well rounded small SUV, performing well in all disciplines. This small SUV is more fun to drive than many cars or wagons. It literally sticks to the road like glue. This is my first permanent AWD vehicle and after getting used to the different feel of driving - I really came to like it. It could use some more hp but I guess you'd have to buy the XT for that. The reliability is outstanding. Some of the interior materials and finishing seem a little cheap. The backseat is cramped even with two small children and very small compared e.g. to the Honda CRV. Dealership and service are very good.

Tow Beast
By Kavoom on 02/23/06 18:08 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it a year now and gone 24K miles with about 7k of those on camping trips with a small pop up camper running around 1800 lbs loaded. I have a manual transmission. I have been in mountains plains and it drives like a dream, 22 mpg pulling as fast as 75 mph across Nebraska (29 to 31 mpg w/o trailer). I am on my third Subaru and the Forester is the best so far and that's saying something. Best small tow vehicle in U.S.

Subaru Forester XT after 9 months
By BCJ on 02/07/06 22:37 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car I have ever driven. Goes down hills like a spider climbing down a wall. Takes off like a rocket, have to watch myself on the acceleration. You think you are light on the pedal and next thing you know the rest of the traffic is a block behind you after the light changes.

Fun to drive Forester
By Carmen DeFranks on 02/05/06 07:19 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned several Subarus and I have found the Forester to be the most fun car to drive. I was not satisfied with the "pickup" till I bought the 2004 Turbo Forester. I had loved the previous one, but needed more power in getting in and out of rush hour traffic. The turbo had that. But above all - I find the Forester to be extremely fun, something that is difficult to put into words. You have to drive one to know what I mean. Give it a try. I am interested in test driving the Baja next since I have not driven one yet. But will probably stick with the Forester. Oh yeah - you can put ANYTHING in this car - great for hauling!

Forester XT- better than WRX wagon
By spyderman4774 on 01/06/06 12:58 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my XT automatic (wife doesn't know how to drive a manual) for about a month now and must say this crossover is awesome! Compared to a WRX automatic that I also drove, the XT's extra displacement means more torque and better acceleration off the line. For American driving styles this better enables one to keep up in traffic and equals more smiles/mile. The seats are very comfortable and the interior user-friendly, also headroom will not be a concern for 6'-plus drivers. The handling is one area where the WRX wagon might have the advantage, the XT has a bit too much body roll in corners (even compared to my trade-in vehicle, an '01 Pathfinder). XT= practicality & fun!

2004 Subaru XT
By desh on 10/14/05 10:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I like the performance of the Turbo XT compared to the standard model. It seems so effortless merging into traffic and if you need it, really has the get up an go. The negative is that the mileage is much worse than I expected - about 20 mpg. I also like the heaters in the mirrors, under the wipers, and in the seats. I had to have the discs turned at 33K due to brake pulsating, but that was free under warranty. I also had a fog light burn out which to my surprise was covered under warranty (bulb costs $20.00). All in all, the Forester is a great car and I love it.

Problems with my 2004 Forester
By Aaron on 10/04/05 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2004 Forester and had to have in the shop 3 times for them to figure out I had a bad fuel injector head. It was fixed and works fine now. This morning I had to take it in again because the car overheats when the A/C is on. I did my research on Subarus and none of the data indicated that I would have the type of problems I'm having. I think I'm going to trade my car in for a Honda. My Subaru has become unreliable for my family.