Used 2004 Subaru Forester X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Solid Little SUV
By heidiincolorado

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car 7 months and have 13,000 miles. It has been a very functional car and has good handling. I thought the gas mileage would be better but I guess I notice the gas mileage more when gas is $2 or more a gallon these days! My main complaint is the "rough" engine feel and highway noise at highway speeds. I would like a quieter and smoother ride.

Favorite Features

AWD, excellent brakes, lots of storage space, safety features, fog lights, simple styling

Suggested Improvements

quieter engine, smoother ride, more comfortable armrest, better quality seat upholstery, larger side mirrors, power driver's seat, moonroof option for the X model, more leg room in the backseats, more power without the Turbo option.

solid, pleasant, fun vehicle
By dinosaur

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A unique blend of car and SUV with the best characteristics of both. A very smooth ride, great handling, comfortable seats and the best front legroom by far in its class. Excellent safety features and crash test results. Base model is well equipped. Fuel economy very good for size of vehicle and AWD. A conservative but not boring vehicle

Favorite Features

very comforatble seats, flexible driving position, stable handling, outside temp guage nice to have, lots of storage, keyless entry standard even on X model, attractive functional interior with generally very good materials

Suggested Improvements

stereo is not good even by OEM standards, low end torque could be better, shifter somewhat rubbery but improving nicely with break-in, defeatable hill-holder would be better, brake pedal feels spongy

Solid, no-nonsense vehicle. Good value.
By wolfie2

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm six months and 13,000 miles into this subaru, and I can't say enough good things. It handles very well in all weather, the vehicle is well balanced, feels sturdy, has very natural interior controls, and good headlights. All the essentials are standard - ABS, cruise, power. If you want a no-nonsense vehicle, this is it. It does what it's supposed to do, nothing more, and does it well. If you're sick of features that do nothing but cost you money down the road (VOLKSWAGEN! ARG!) then this is it.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage! I do a lot of highway driving, and I get 30 mpg in an AWD vehicle. I consider that pretty impressive, since any other vehicle with a 4WD option usually gets less than 20. The AWD is great, the fog lights are a great for dark roads, and get the heavy rubber floor mats!

Suggested Improvements

Make the hill-holder clutch on manual models optional. It's easily adjusted, but some drivers won't like it. I'd make the interior fabric more stain resistant. Also faster cruise control response. Nothing really big. Sick of not getting your money's worth? I was. Subaru fixed that.

Bag the Hill Holder!
By sabregirl

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual 2.5 X bought in February. The dealer did not show me the "hill holder" feature until after I had signed all the paperwork. I didn't see any reference to it in the literature beforehand either. I HATE this feature! Other than that, the car is brilliant, and I was really excited to begin with. But everytime I have to race the engine to get it to move forward on a hill, or it sticks when I try to reverse (even not on a hill!) my enthusiasm decreases. Has anyone else had problems with this feature? I would not have bought this car if I had known it would act like this at stops. I have a complaint in to subaru now about this.

Favorite Features

Good power, decent cargo space and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the Hill Holder, and force the salespeople to tell potential buyers about it in advance. I feel like I have been cheated!

Excellent Drive
By VEHarlan

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Subaru Forester for about 6 weeks and I am so impressed with its performance. I don't see many on the road in El Paso and I think that everyone should own one.

Favorite Features

Good vision all around. Comfortable seats. Good pickup.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control is sometimes difficult to find when you have to keep your eyes on the road. Maybe placing it on top of the steering wheel might be an option.