Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

The Little Old Lady's Turbo
By Annina

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love this car. I went from the hard to get into Jeep to this comfortable smaller SUV. It drives like a baby carriage and and flies up the onramp. Perfect car for freeway driving and looks good too.

Climate control, lots of power outlets,heated seats and plenty of space. The best moon roof ever.

Seat positioning should be more flexible and eliminate the ashtray. Put in a cell phone holder instead.

'04 Forester XS-All Purpose Fun
By zanadu2

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This SUV/car drives and handles like it has a lower center of gravity than you would first expect. The 4 wheel disc brakes are a necessity. The non- turbo engine tends to lug a bit with the automatic transmission at speeds just under 40 mph, unless you manually downshift to 3rd gear, otherwise a very smooth transmission. Fuel economy is OK, but could be better. The tires are just adequate. There is good cargo space. Overall a fun vehicle to drive around town or on the highway.

Well designed instruments/dash, great driving position and visibility, with excellent steering/handling and heated seats/mirrors, and deicing for all wipers. The six disc CD player is a nice extra.

Raise the speed at which the overdrive locks up or increase the engine horsepower. Increased leg room in the back seat. Tinted widows for cargo area. Lighted door entry.

Family fun mobile
By DJones

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The car is fu to drive and handles the road great dallor value is tops fit and finish is 1st class

all wheel drive inside/outside fit and finish.

a little better gas mileage

Fun Car with Lots of standard features
By bhamdriver

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We needed a car with power locks and windows since we have small children. We love the safety rating and side impact airbags We went with the Base X and then added on leather and heated seats aftermarket at the local seat shop. much cheaper this way and better quality materials.The pickup is great for a 4cyl and the car sits up much higher than the old Accord which this replaced. Don't hesitate to buy the base model.

Power everything (except seats), the 5 star safety ratings. Comfortable seats. Good color choices.

Privacy Glass. Wish they would let you get no stereo and charge less as aftermarket steros are cheaper and more flexible.

Raves for the Forester
By gmseaman

I've only had my Forester for two weeks and have driven under 500 miles -- but I love every mile. Just a touch of the pedal and this turbo charges ahead effortlessly. Although the turbo uses Premium fuel, I have no complaints about the poor economy in the low 20s. I only drive about 12K a year.

Excellent points include the extra large moon roof, the automatic heat/AC system, and the firm ride.

Rear leg room is woefully inadequate for leggy passengers. Otherwise, I enjoy it as it is. I am a happy Subaru buyer. My previous was a 98 Legacy.