Used 2004 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Solid Car
By zak

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

31,000 miles on my 2004 Subaru. Very happy with performance, reliability. Excellent in snow. Researched every car in the class before purchase and am convinced the Subaru Forester best choice.

Solid body construction. Power. Versatility. All wheel drive performance in snow.

The upholstery and floor coverings are of extremely low quality. Electrical junction connector pushed through carpet 2 weeks after I had it. The stereo speaker rattled from the day I got it. Plastic molding between front and back windows gets blown off by car wash dryers every time.

Tow Beast
By Kavoom

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it a year now and gone 24K miles with about 7k of those on camping trips with a small pop up camper running around 1800 lbs loaded. I have a manual transmission. I have been in mountains plains and it drives like a dream, 22 mpg pulling as fast as 75 mph across Nebraska (29 to 31 mpg w/o trailer). I am on my third Subaru and the Forester is the best so far and that's saying something. Best small tow vehicle in U.S.

Quickness, safety features, mileage, back room for hauling and the dog loves the view ... he can see out unlike most others where the deck is low.

Low range transmission, like Australia, load leveling shocks on all of 'em, like Australia, and not just the LL Bean version.

Problems with my 2004 Forester
By Aaron

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2004 Forester and had to have in the shop 3 times for them to figure out I had a bad fuel injector head. It was fixed and works fine now. This morning I had to take it in again because the car overheats when the A/C is on. I did my research on Subarus and none of the data indicated that I would have the type of problems I'm having. I think I'm going to trade my car in for a Honda. My Subaru has become unreliable for my family.

I enjoy the safety rating it received.

More power for the X model, it does not have much power when getting on the freeway and you can hear the gears shifting as it tries to go up a hill. Also, the brakes seem to be a little spongy.

Love this car!
By happyferret

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our first Subaru three years ago and loved it. When we needed a second car we knew we didn't need the size of another Outback so we checked out the Forester. It's great to drive and fantastic in the snow. My aunt bought a Forester in 2000 and an additional one a few months ago. Our family is committed to the 'bu.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By M. Park

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Family is just two + a dog, but it's got room for more. We traded in 2000 Honda Passport V6, and got Forester 17 months ago, and we still love it. It's a bit boxy, but ride is far more comfortable than Passport, drives better in snow and ice, it takes far less gas and on top of all that it's safer. It does all the things SUV does, only better, and it beats a sedan in luggage and grocery hauling too. It's an excellent vehicle. Practical, practical!

Perfect entry height. It's higher than a sedan and lower than SUV, didn't know how good it is until Forester. Excellent snow driving! Room for my radio control planes, and charger plug in the cargo area for charging RC batteries. Outside temp gauge.

Gas mileage is not so hot, but then we drive in a city. I want an outside temp gauge in the center. The charge plug in the cargo area should be on without keys in the ignition. If I have to go to the driver's seat to turn it on, how can I use the charge plug in the cargo area? Better cornering?