2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Not as good as they use to be.
By lemonade on 08/04/05 02:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car thinking it would be as reliable and trouble free as my '95 Legacy. I was wrong! Numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks developed in the dash, console, and front passenger door. The auto transmissionwas rough and jerky shifting. The front end would grind and rattle when pulling into a parking space. Two dealers were unable to fix even a single problem. The dealer also always overfilled the engine by half a quart of oil during oil changes. Lousy service, warranty, and car. NEVER WILL BUY ONE AGAIN!

Safe and Fun To Drive
By Asa Packer on 07/15/05 18:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2004 2.5X has been a good, but not great car. Great fun to drive, economical and very safe, but the engine sips coolant and there's a light, intermittent engine knock. Subaru dealers can't or won't diagnose either problem. Time will tell how long our Subaru lasts.

Perfect for our Needs
By Mowine4me on 04/03/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We needed a car that could haul stuff for our home improvement projects, got great mileage, was reliable and under $20,000. Final purchase price was $19,800 new, and the car has been everything we wanted. The engine could use a little more power when merging onto a highway, but otherwise we love the car and highly recommend it.

2004 Forester X
By Neal on 01/12/05 16:34 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester X is a wonderfully affordable, versatile everyday driver that is fun to drive. The gas mileage beats almost any other SUV, with the trade off being less power. If power is important, get the XT version. I took this car into foot-deep snow here without snow tires or chains and the X just plowed through it as stable and positive as you could want it. The handling is superb. What I really liked about this car was the price - for what you get, they practically give it away. With rear seats folded down, it handled 2 adults and their luggage for a vacation just fine. With a pet barrier, it takes my 70-lb. dog everywhere. In a nutshell: practical, reliable, versatile, fun, cheap.

I want a sunroof and a real armrest
By jlch on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I want a sunroof and a real armrest. Good, reliable but no frills.

Solid Little SUV
By heidiincolorado on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car 7 months and have 13,000 miles. It has been a very functional car and has good handling. I thought the gas mileage would be better but I guess I notice the gas mileage more when gas is $2 or more a gallon these days! My main complaint is the "rough" engine feel and highway noise at highway speeds. I would like a quieter and smoother ride.

solid, pleasant, fun vehicle
By dinosaur on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A unique blend of car and SUV with the best characteristics of both. A very smooth ride, great handling, comfortable seats and the best front legroom by far in its class. Excellent safety features and crash test results. Base model is well equipped. Fuel economy very good for size of vehicle and AWD. A conservative but not boring vehicle

Solid, no-nonsense vehicle. Good value.
By wolfie2 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm six months and 13,000 miles into this subaru, and I can't say enough good things. It handles very well in all weather, the vehicle is well balanced, feels sturdy, has very natural interior controls, and good headlights. All the essentials are standard - ABS, cruise, power. If you want a no-nonsense vehicle, this is it. It does what it's supposed to do, nothing more, and does it well. If you're sick of features that do nothing but cost you money down the road (VOLKSWAGEN! ARG!) then this is it.

Bag the Hill Holder!
By sabregirl on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a manual 2.5 X bought in February. The dealer did not show me the "hill holder" feature until after I had signed all the paperwork. I didn't see any reference to it in the literature beforehand either. I HATE this feature! Other than that, the car is brilliant, and I was really excited to begin with. But everytime I have to race the engine to get it to move forward on a hill, or it sticks when I try to reverse (even not on a hill!) my enthusiasm decreases. Has anyone else had problems with this feature? I would not have bought this car if I had known it would act like this at stops. I have a complaint in to subaru now about this.

Excellent Drive
By VEHarlan on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Subaru Forester for about 6 weeks and I am so impressed with its performance. I don't see many on the road in El Paso and I think that everyone should own one.