Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Could not have made a better choice
By Jeffrey Lubeck

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Three months and 2,300 miles in and the choice of this vehicle feel better and better with each driving session. This vehicle gives the you power of a turbo, without a huge lag time. As a driver you are afforded the ability to pass with speed, safety and feeling of control. The Fit and finsh of the leather package and the clean lines of the interior make driving easy and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Turbo Wide Wheel Base Handling Head room Cargo configuration and options

Suggested Improvements

XM Radio Audio/speaker package.

Subaru owner for life
By Jim & Di

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looking to get a new truck til my nephew showed up with a Forester, we read the review in Comsummer Report and took one for a ride. That was it. We couldn't find anything we didn't like. I was set on a 5 spd. but the auto with the 4 cyl was so quick and steady I was sold. Hard part was which color to get. There is plenty of room in the back to haul things and it doesn't seem to balk at a load of a few hundred pounds like some 4 cyl will. Great height for getting into and good head space and leg room in the back seat. Seats have good support. Handled great in heavy rain w/ flooded road. Love my car!!!

Favorite Features

Haven't found anything I don't like. Love the storage trays above the wheel, and it's not a doughnut either. Love the way it handles

Suggested Improvements

Include a sunroof on the base model. It was the one "frill" I wanted. but the package put it over budget.

Love it!
By wesy

I just traded in my 98 Volvo S70T5A for the 04 XT PP. The XT wallows less around curves and has less lag. The XT just wants to go. The auto is well matched with the engine. It's a blast to drive and has tons of utility that my Volvo didn't have. Another plus is that the insurance is just a touch more than I was paying on my 6 year old Volvo! Go figure. I gave up a touch of luxury for way more grins!

Favorite Features

Drive Train! Sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

A little more luxury...I'm getting older power seats and more comfortable seats a la volvo would fit the bill!

I'll miss my Integra, but LOVE my Subie
By Frankie and dog.

Love my new 2004 XT beauty/sharp red color. Bought for a GREAT price. Got Permaplate paint protect +leather conditioner pkg. Can't get enough huge moonroof. Even when open, it's quiet. The size, perfect for my outdoor lifestyle, bigger than Rav 4 but smaller than midsize. My retriever is getting used to having jump up+ in 4 " higher. Only added is I got windows/ mnroof tinted, looks fabulous! Fun and smooth drive 210 hsepwr is plenty! Turbo euphoria! In a few moments of clarity I remember I'm breaking in the engine and slow to 60, I do get 22MPG. Optimistic when engine is broken in, MPG will improve. Can't wait to go camping in 2 weeks!

Favorite Features

Huge moonroof, turbo power. Leather seats w/butt warmers nice but not extravagant so,I don't mind if my dog drools on them a little. Stereo good, not great. Practical, upscale, great SUV! Really best of both worlds! Sweet!

Suggested Improvements

Heard power driver seats standard with 2005 model, wish they came one year earlier. MPG not a surprise.

GREAT SUV? CAR? WHO CARES!!!
By magman

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced an 02 GMC Envoy with this little jewel. I have driven it 4000 miles so far. Great blend of SUV and Car qualities. I think my 02 V8 Explorer (Which is getting 14 mpg) will be Subaru's next trade in victim. The only thing I find lacking is acceleration but I'm getting 28mpg on the highway with regular gas so I can live with it. My first Japanese vehicle won't be my last.

Favorite Features

XL moonroof, AWD agility and 28mpg. The vehicle lives up to its billing.

Suggested Improvements

Rear privacy glass a must, can't scan songs on CD, Doors don't lock when in drive, moonroof no tilt feature.