2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
great car
By hoosier on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my subaru for two months--also have a subaru Legacy . I love my forester , like the way it handles and rides.Ride little more choppy then Outback but more fun to drive and easy to get in and out of traffic--get about 26mph in mixed driving. I live off road and great winter car---

Hitting the sweet spot
By dcdouglas on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

My wife and I replaced a 92 Legacy wagon with an XT w/PP. It is the ultimate automobile sweet spot. This car is the PERFECT blend of safety, performance, price, and sheer drivability. If you're looking for a small SUV/tall wagon, I must go out and test drive one to see for yourself. It blows away all competitors (CRV, RAV, Vue, Matrix) while still being economical. Be prepared to have the street cred of a bad boy racer while also enjoying the envy of soccer moms everywhere. If you and your partner must compromise on a new vehicle purchase (between performance and functionality), don't compromise, buy an XT!

Front end impact
By Crunch on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

At a red light, my foot slipped from the brake to the gas causing a bump with the 1987 Chevy mini-SUV in front of me. No noticed damage to the Chevy, it had some wear and tear on it. The driver was content to leave well enough alone - especiially when he saw the mess I had on my hands. Nearly $6k damage to the Subaru Forrester. It crumpled like an aluminum can under a foot. It could not leave the scene under its own power. The radiator burst. The entire front end, the hood, and much of the front parts of the engine had to be replaced. The vehicle had 400 miles on it.

Upgraded from Impeza to Forrester
By DavidColorado on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2000 Impreza Outback Sport for a 2004 Forrester. I am getting 27 mpg, which is better than I expected. I love the interior design and feature set. The car regularly takes 3 kids to school, hauls empty cardboard to the recycling center, and carries me safely and comfortably to my 40 mile away workplace.

Great Car
By hybrid on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

This is a great vehicle. I traded in my 2002 A4 for this car. I wanted a fun AWD small SUV/wagon. I was hesitant on the eterior styling at first...Once I drove the XT, I was hooked. The turbo 2.5 liter motor is addicting. The 5 speed manual is a little sportier, but this was the compromise between my wife and I. Plus the sunroof in the Premium is to die for. You can't go wrong with this vehicle

3 Months in
By archer on 11/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru, and so far, at 4K miles, I am very pleased. The Forester XS with Prem. package has lots of nice features which match my needs. Mostly around town driving with some light offroad...gravel and dirt roads. Very comfortable seats for long trips. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room. A solid, responsive, well conceived vehicle. My passengers are really impressed. So far no early defects, so I'm a pretty happy camper.

Fast and Practical
By samiam_68 on 11/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is an overall excellent vehicle. It is very roomy and practical, well designed, has been reliable so far. The engine is awesome - it responds instantaneously and never lacks power. The clutch is smooth and the transmission is very precise. Brakes have a good feel and steering is nice and responsive. The gas mileage is average - overall 21 MPG in mixed driving after over 3,000 miles. This car has the worst seatbelts I have ever seen - they are ridiculously tight, lock up constantly, and cause pain across the chest and abdomen. Had them replaced twice already, but no improvement. Will be talking directly to a Subaru rep in the near future.

2nd Childhood Toy
By Dennis Carlson on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I went shopping for a SUV to use as a second vehicle but never suspected that I would wind up with Subaru. My initial impression was they make wagons that drive like a sports car? I was immediately hooked by the power, handling, and ergonomics. I am 6' tall, 200 lbs, and all of the controls are exactly in the right place. I felt at home in the first ten minutes.

WOW...love my Forester XT
By SueSubaru on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Had a 2002 Subaru Outback but wasn't happy with how small it felt inside or the peppiness. Happened to mention it at my scheduled servicing and they dragged me around back of the dealership to see the just delivered 2004 Forester XT. Love at first site! The first thing I did was solar tint all the windows and I'm telling you now this car looks HOT. Love the accelleration, appearance and extra head space. The black leather seats,silver/chrome interior & chrome accent on the tailpipe is nice. The sunrooof is immense and quiet actually when opened! The 6 disk CD player, seat warmers, outdoor mirror warmers and all the extras are great.

Wolf in sheep's clothing
By Skibum on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Back in 82, when I sold my wife's modified Z28 because the new baby's car seat didn't fit, she cried. So last night as she drove up Ute Pass in Colorado in her new Forester XT in 5th gear, accelerating without downshifting, she looked over at me, smiled and finally forgave me for selling her "Z" 21 years ago. Subaru, Thank You.