2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Plain and Simple Truth
By juanmafxt on 08/06/13 11:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the pioneer and last of the true sport crossovers. There are a lot of copycats nowadays, but this one is the real thing. Manual tranny, 4.44FD, AWD with 50/50 torque split, big STI engine 2.5L, factory turbo with low compression pistons, disc brakes, LSD and other good stuff. All parts from the WRX and STI fit into this vehicle since they share the platform. Tons of aftermarket parts and can be made to go very fast for very little. Great sleeper vehicle. This is not a car for nannies. If you intent is to buy a car and just put gas in it and forget everything else, this is not the car for you. Change PM parts and the car will reward you with a great bargain.

A niche car, but fits perfectly in it.
By speedysteve on 02/08/12 07:57 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned my Forester XT for 6 years now, and it has been a very fun car. The only repair I've had is the alternator. It's far faster than it looks and I love being able to floor it on the highway in 5th and it just goes. It looks good, carries a fair amount of stuff when I go camping, and is great in the snow.

Pass on Subaru not worth trouble
By JeffD. on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased the car based on Consumer reviews. Car has lived in the shop: valves, clutch, brakes, radio, etc. The car handles well but no power and no room for kids. Most expensive car I've ever owned based on days in shop and dollars in repairs. I keep cars for 10+ years but looking forward to parking this one under a tree and walking away from it. Subaru dealerships have a lot of swagger about the belief of what they read in consumer reports. Unfortunately this attitude makes it "your fault" that the valves fail after 60 k miles and be prepared for very long waits for parts. Took 3 weeks to get in a new rear windshield wiper arm. None of the needed work has been under warranty.

Early Maintenance
By Bill on 12/16/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is great except for fuel and maintenance costs. Plugs only last 50000 and cost 300-400 to replace due to complexity of the flat design and the turbo plumbing. Most recently I had a raw gas odor requiring replacement of fuel hoses which required removing the intake manifold for repairs. Also found an air turbo intake hose with a hole in it ($100).

Nice ride but paint and interior poor
By Vickie on 09/23/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I enjoy my Forester but the paint (black) has not held up well at all. I thought Subaru was built for harsh weather. I live in the south - no snow and ice here. My driver's seat has a tear in the "leather" trim. My goal is to drive the car until it has 200K miles. I am guessing that I will have no paint left by that time. I took the car back to the dealer before the warranty expired and they could not help me with the paint. Are you kidding me - my next car will not be a Subaru for this reason alone.

The Logical Choice
By 1969Skeptic on 01/28/09 11:27 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after extensive research in 2003. It was down to the Honda Element vs. the Forester XT and the power won out. This is the first car I've had that I can honestly say I've used most of it's capabilities regularly. I'm no street racer but I do enjoy the acceleration and handling of this little SUV. I usually travel by myself or with my young son and it's just the right size. I've had it off road on the beach and on dirt trails - no complaints and it's easy to maneuver. It towed my 17ft Boston Whaler nicely as well. However, for family road trips we take my wife's Pilot - more room.

Great little wagon
By homer on 11/23/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 and have loved it ever since. I just payed it off and plan on keeping it until it dies. It handles great in the rain and snow. The only warranty work I had done was to replace the CD changer and rear view mirror. My only complaint is the very loud road noise. It's a great car that can definitely move when you want it to.

The swiss army knife of cars!
By problemcat13 on 11/18/08 21:41 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Want a wagon to haul stuff? Want to do some light off-roading? Want to smoke that 350Z sitting at the light next to you? The Forester can do it all! I am on my second Forester and am now a die-hard Subaru fan. My 04 XT is a nicely put together vehicle with nice materials, but most importantly, smoking performance. I smile just thinking about pushing my Foz through the corners and speeding away from lights. I like it, my kids like it, and even the wife likes to take it out for a spin! Reliability, style, utility, performance... you can't go wrong!

I love it! I love it! I love it!
By ejgauthier on 04/25/08 14:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What can I say,still smitten after 5 years! Peppy, reliable, safe, still looks like new with this black leather with white exterior. Big windows make the big sky bigger. BIG sunroof turns my Subie into a convertible. Comfy inside, pleny of room too. Love the sporty driving appeal with low center of gravity yet high clearance. It's the perfect car for the mountains and highways where Canadian winters go on and on and on! Did I mention I loved my SUV(Subie Utility Vehicle).

Still in Love 5 years later!
By EJGauthier on 04/18/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Did my research before buying my Subie. Used to drive 4X4 Cherokee 4.0L. Rented one for a few weeks to test it properly, but it wasn't a turbo. Test drove the new 2004 Turbo and bought it on the spot. Has every feature possible and most accessories. I changeover my tires Winter(use Toyo Walnut shell composite)/Summer( still have my factory tires). The AWD, antilock brakes and low center of gravity has proven to be an extremely stable, safe and solid vehicle for me. I would buy the same again in a NY minute. Love the rearview mirror with autodimmer and compass. Love the weatherband radio! Love leather smells awesome everytime I sit down. Love the great big sunroof, increases my big sky country!

1 2 3 4 5 next »