2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Very reliable car
By subaru enthusiast on 09/23/09 12:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Currently at 120,000 miles. The only major problem was leaky head gaskets which I think is an inherent defect in the engine. But easily fixed for less than $1000. Otherwise the best car I have ever owned. On my way to 200,000 miles and beyond.

Excellent Car
By Excellent Car on 07/11/09 23:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After 10 years with my Hyundai excel 1994, having many problems I bought my forester in year 2003. I love this car. No problem. It's very comfortable. After 90,000 miles I'm still in love with my Subaru. The 4WD is excellent.

Don't Buy a Forester
By mike on 04/30/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 04 XS for 5 years now, generally speaking, it's a good car. It is reliable and gets 28-30 mpg highway, front seats are comfortable, back seats are tight, car is sporty and stylish, great traction in bad weather, massive sunroof, BUT...this car has problems. From day 1, car bucks after filling with gas (dealer can't explain), wind noise on highway is horrendous, check engine light goes on and off at will, moving drivers seat causes airbag light to go on, sunroof track broken-they want $1500 bucks to replace, vibration from engine Y-pipe drives us crazy (dealer again can't fix), now the rear end has a very loud humming noise as if its about to go. Car only has 62k miles.

Great allround vehicle
By sneaux on 04/28/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this in October of 2008. Pretty fun to drive. Handles great on the road. Plenty of cargo space. Works great with rack on top. Leather feels good. Solid car inside with no squeaks despite all the compartments. I've heard some people complain about the back seat. I don't think it's that bad considering it's a car. Have yet to really test the all wheel drive at my lake house. Can't wait.

Problems
By Forester '04 on 04/05/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My '04 Sabaru is noisy, had to replace rear tire ball bearings, had accident because of a sticky throttle 4 days after a mechanic check, lacked sufficient room for passengers.

Just what I was looking for...
By brian on 01/23/09 02:21 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I do not give this vehicle 10s across the board, but I give it a 10 in what I was looking for. It is not fast. It produces lots of wind noise. It doesn't corner particularly well. It does provide amazing versatility, functional all-wheel drive, and plenty of room for storage. I am an outdoorsy type. I take this vehicle camping, hunting, fishing, biking, and for long distance traveling. I have driven this through sand, mud and water. I accidentally went through an innocuous looking puddle that came up over the hood, and the Forester pulled right through. Am very happy with the Forester and will drive it until the wheels fall off, or I do, whichever comes first.

Forester 04 XS Premium
By mcbit on 11/19/08 15:06 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love the versatility of the vehicle. Like handling, but lacking power IMO. Passing other vehicles is often a challenge, which is my major concern. And, turbo is much more expensive to drive. Maintenance is on the expensive side. Sunroof doesn't open/close properly. Dealership was unable to determine exact cause after 1 hr inspection. Another mechanic found trickling current in the power circuit suspecting a failing diode in the alternator. Dealership tested and said that it is okay. Suspicious. Don't take vehicle to the dealership anymore. Central console plastic is easy to scratch. Rattles inside are annoying. Overall, good vehicle.

Paint problems
By John S on 10/21/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A great car in most aspects except paint. Have commuted 110 miles round trip for years with Hondas. The Subaru paint on the front plastic components has become heavily pitted from bugs in spite of frequent washings. Looks trashy on the front. Now I am getting a milky residue on the entire exterior. No known exposure to air borne pollutants. Waxed regularly. Washed predominantly by hand with proper washing materials. The black pearl paint looks great except it shows both of these blemishes rather dramatically. Subaru only offered to pay 1/2 cost of bumper repainting. A real disappointment.

2004 Forester Junk on Wheels
By Mike Foley on 01/20/07 12:33 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car was rubbish from day one. Brake noise. Faulty converter, hard starting, and the cam shaft and one lifter failed after 12000 miles. For $24K. Do not believe Consumer Reports.

Unbeatable value for the money
By Ralf A. on 06/04/06 18:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Forester is a well rounded small SUV, performing well in all disciplines. This small SUV is more fun to drive than many cars or wagons. It literally sticks to the road like glue. This is my first permanent AWD vehicle and after getting used to the different feel of driving - I really came to like it. It could use some more hp but I guess you'd have to buy the XT for that. The reliability is outstanding. Some of the interior materials and finishing seem a little cheap. The backseat is cramped even with two small children and very small compared e.g. to the Honda CRV. Dealership and service are very good.