2004 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
2004 Subaru Forester "Burt"
By brooklynjoel on 05/29/13 14:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester X "Burt" used in July 2011 from a Subaru Dealer in Rockland County, NY with 107K miles on it. I now have 120K miles on it. It has proven to be a reliable and surprisingly comfortable vehicle. I average about 18 mpg in the city, and around 28 mpg on the highway. This car is one of the most "honest" cars I've ever owned. It just works without fuss or fanfare, and feels solid. I Have done nothing but oil changes, a differential and tranny fluid change, tire rotations, and inspections for maintenance, and Burt goes like a top! I hope to buy a new 2014 Subaru Forester based on my experience with this one, and I am one of the most "brand unloyal" owners out there!

0 for 2 With My Subaru
By Dougie Henson on 11/01/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 2nd Subaru and it will surely be my last. I should have known better after our '93 Legacy wagon broke 2 timing belts, blew a head gasket, and needed both front wheel drive axles replaced-all before 36,000 miles. Nevertheless, I traded it on a new '04 Forester 2.5X because it was the best deal we could get. Never again! The right front wheel well liner came loose and fell out before 10,000 miles. The transmission began to give us trouble at 15,000 miles. The whole car vibrated while turning even though we faithfully had it serviced & the tires rebalanced and rotated every 3,000 miles at the dealers. The windows leaked and whistled in the wind whenever you exceeded 35 MPH. Junk!!!

The 2004 Subaru Forester was a Life-Saver
By pktsizecub on 08/16/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a silver Forester because of the snow and ice we get in Eastern Oregon. This car exceeded expectations. I never got below 25 MPG on the hwy, and around 22 in town. When "Chains Required" signs are posted on the interstate, this car buzzed past all the cars chaining up. Subaru is amazing for their safety and high quality. Because my son survived an extreme accident with only bruises I can endorse this car fully. I'm not saying another car wouldn't have performed as well. But this Subaru when put to the test, passed with flying colors.

Excellent Car!
By Charles on 05/12/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a 10 all round. It may seem strange that I gave all 10's but this is purely in consideration of the type of car it is. For performance for example, some may say that it is slow, especially for 165 hp. However, in any conditions with poor traction, it is absolutely essential for good performance (ie not sliding off the road) that power delivery isn't snappy and immediate. Handling is surprisingly good for the type of car it is and this must in part be due to the low center of gravity of the boxer engine.

I'll keep going back to Subaru!
By JP on 04/30/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My second Forester was the 2004 and it was such a good, solid car. I've listened to so many "regular car" drivers complain about snow, ice, etc. I never had those problems with this Forester or the one I traded in to get this one (1998). Just traded it in for a Legacy which I love, but I do miss all the storage cubbies in the Forester! I really love the Subaru line - so many things that are "extra" in other brands are "standard" for Subaru, such as carpeted mats, keyless remote, etc. Between that, the AWD, and a good dealership, I'm a Subaru owner for life!

Solid Car
By zak on 11/01/06 09:26 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

31,000 miles on my 2004 Subaru. Very happy with performance, reliability. Excellent in snow. Researched every car in the class before purchase and am convinced the Subaru Forester best choice.

Tow Beast
By Kavoom on 02/23/06 18:08 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had it a year now and gone 24K miles with about 7k of those on camping trips with a small pop up camper running around 1800 lbs loaded. I have a manual transmission. I have been in mountains plains and it drives like a dream, 22 mpg pulling as fast as 75 mph across Nebraska (29 to 31 mpg w/o trailer). I am on my third Subaru and the Forester is the best so far and that's saying something. Best small tow vehicle in U.S.

Problems with my 2004 Forester
By Aaron on 10/04/05 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have an 2004 Forester and had to have in the shop 3 times for them to figure out I had a bad fuel injector head. It was fixed and works fine now. This morning I had to take it in again because the car overheats when the A/C is on. I did my research on Subarus and none of the data indicated that I would have the type of problems I'm having. I think I'm going to trade my car in for a Honda. My Subaru has become unreliable for my family.

Love this car!
By happyferret on 09/01/05 20:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our first Subaru three years ago and loved it. When we needed a second car we knew we didn't need the size of another Outback so we checked out the Forester. It's great to drive and fantastic in the snow. My aunt bought a Forester in 2000 and an additional one a few months ago. Our family is committed to the 'bu.

Excellent Family Vehicle
By M. Park on 08/24/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Family is just two + a dog, but it's got room for more. We traded in 2000 Honda Passport V6, and got Forester 17 months ago, and we still love it. It's a bit boxy, but ride is far more comfortable than Passport, drives better in snow and ice, it takes far less gas and on top of all that it's safer. It does all the things SUV does, only better, and it beats a sedan in luggage and grocery hauling too. It's an excellent vehicle. Practical, practical!