2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Plain and Simple Truth
By juanmafxt on 08/06/13 11:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the pioneer and last of the true sport crossovers. There are a lot of copycats nowadays, but this one is the real thing. Manual tranny, 4.44FD, AWD with 50/50 torque split, big STI engine 2.5L, factory turbo with low compression pistons, disc brakes, LSD and other good stuff. All parts from the WRX and STI fit into this vehicle since they share the platform. Tons of aftermarket parts and can be made to go very fast for very little. Great sleeper vehicle. This is not a car for nannies. If you intent is to buy a car and just put gas in it and forget everything else, this is not the car for you. Change PM parts and the car will reward you with a great bargain.

2004 Subaru Forester "Burt"
By brooklynjoel on 05/29/13 14:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester X "Burt" used in July 2011 from a Subaru Dealer in Rockland County, NY with 107K miles on it. I now have 120K miles on it. It has proven to be a reliable and surprisingly comfortable vehicle. I average about 18 mpg in the city, and around 28 mpg on the highway. This car is one of the most "honest" cars I've ever owned. It just works without fuss or fanfare, and feels solid. I Have done nothing but oil changes, a differential and tranny fluid change, tire rotations, and inspections for maintenance, and Burt goes like a top! I hope to buy a new 2014 Subaru Forester based on my experience with this one, and I am one of the most "brand unloyal" owners out there!

Expensive parts, noisy on highway, worst car I ever had.
By whatwhatwhat1 on 01/15/13 11:56 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used in 2009. In three years, I spend $2400 in repairs (rear bearings on both sides, head gasket, rocker bars in the front that were recalled, air conditioner compressor) and when I traded it in today for a 2012 Camry, the turbo was smoking and the transmission was on it's way out too. It had 140K miles. Parts are hard to come by, none of the charging ports worked on it and the check engine light was always coming on, which turned off the cruise control. in three years, I got to use the cruise control once. It was a nightmare to own. It was almost impossible to talk on speakerphone on the highway due to the road noise. and the backseat doesn't have any legroom.

A niche car, but fits perfectly in it.
By speedysteve on 02/08/12 07:57 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned my Forester XT for 6 years now, and it has been a very fun car. The only repair I've had is the alternator. It's far faster than it looks and I love being able to floor it on the highway in 5th and it just goes. It looks good, carries a fair amount of stuff when I go camping, and is great in the snow.

Excellent winter vehicle, though slightly underpowered
By ruslan on 12/27/10 22:47 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Generally speaking, it is a great small utility vehicle that that drives like a car. It is an excellent winter vehicle, but it is not best for highway driving. It lacks power for comfortable passing, and down-shift is on the slow side. And, highway wind and road noise are on the noisier side. I took it for a 4000mile/6000km drive from Canada to California. It handled nicely when it was +24C and during winter blizzard when I-15 got closed for hours. I haven't had major problems with the vehicle, except sunroof does no longer work. And, parts and service are a bit expensive, especially in Canada.

Too many other choices to buy this again
By brinx on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is well thought of for some people. I don't understand why. There are too many good alternatives to this car to buy another one. Normal recommended maintenance is expensive and add in wheel bearings and head gaskets and it's like buying another car. The car is marketed for harsh weather and service, but it doesn't seem to be built for it. Before buying search on head gaskets and wheel bearings and see if you still want one.

Pass on Subaru not worth trouble
By JeffD. on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased the car based on Consumer reviews. Car has lived in the shop: valves, clutch, brakes, radio, etc. The car handles well but no power and no room for kids. Most expensive car I've ever owned based on days in shop and dollars in repairs. I keep cars for 10+ years but looking forward to parking this one under a tree and walking away from it. Subaru dealerships have a lot of swagger about the belief of what they read in consumer reports. Unfortunately this attitude makes it "your fault" that the valves fail after 60 k miles and be prepared for very long waits for parts. Took 3 weeks to get in a new rear windshield wiper arm. None of the needed work has been under warranty.

Near to perfect design
By netmate98 on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Gas mileage just plain bad, I got the same mileage, 13 mpg, with a 2006 8 cylinder hemi daytona with 360 hp. This has great hp for a 4 cylinder and is very fun wagon to drive. The leather seating is well done. Tilt wheel would raise the comfort level. Better quality front seat back handle control needed. Near perfect interior-exterior design. Window whistle at 45 mph annoying, need window frames. Sacrificing quality for weight savings don't work for me, the aluminum hood takes a beating on the highway. The expensive to fix cd changer radio is a let down.

Great vehicle
By H. Hudson on 03/23/10 14:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had zero problems with this vehicle. Has a lot of punch and great to drive. Fair gas mileage. Passenger seat too hard for me.

Regular kitchen appliance
By DL on 02/09/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great little car for people who think that driving is as exciting as homework. It is not that expensive, reliability on major parts are good, can take a beating reasonably well. It is a completely forgettable car that takes you from point A to point B with no complaints.