Tojo's Revenge
By Duane Rorrer on
2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
I originally bought this car for my wife. She grew to hate it so much that she asked me to swap her for our old Jeep Cherokee. After swapping, I soon learned why she hated the car so much. Lackluster acceleration, strange coughs, jerks, and a transmission that shifts when it shouldn't and doesn't shift when it should. One tank of fuel will get 25 MPG and the next only gets 17 MPG in the same area. I had it back to three different Subaru dealers multiple times and can't get any satisfaction. I have made at least 6 different requests to speak to a Subaru factory rep and I am always told to leave my number and the factory rep will call me. I'm still waiting for a call. Buyer Beware!
Favorite Features
Windshield washer tank holds a full gallon. Outside temperature indicator very useful to warn of freezing roadways. Dual tripometers.
Suggested Improvements
Completely re-engineer engine controls. Either abandon electronic shift transmission or find some competent engineers to design a new control system. Include more than one key operated door lock. Use better quality materials for interior components (carpeting, upholstery, & cheap plastic dash).