2003 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: My favorite car

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

My favorite car
By Anthony C on

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has got it all. Its fun to drive, reliable and great features. The 160hp engine is capable enough but I wonder how the XT with turbo would feel. It feels quick and sharp when turning. With routine maintenance I have never had any trouble or need for repairs. The only thing I have replaced have been fluids and tires. Our XS model came with leather seats which are much easier to clean with kids, and the cold weather package: heated front seats, front wipers and side mirror defrost. Pretty nice when my wife was driving it to class and she could sit inside while the car heated up instead of standing outside scraping the car off in a bad neighborhood.

The AWD! Here in central NY with its lake-effect snow (tons of heavy, wet snow coming off Lake Ontario) Subaru's rule and this car has always made it through. With new Goodyear Tripletred tires this thing can get through it all.

My main issue is with cabin noise when driving. The engine is quiet but the rushing air can sound loud. Legroom is cramped but I've read that has been improved it more recent models. Also, the stereo buttons are small and difficult to find without taking your eyes off the road to look down.