Used 2003 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Good Northeast Car
By cmac

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for the dollar. Handles very well and gets good mileage if driven smooth. The pickup is quick but will show it is a 4 cylinder with 4 people and cargo. The seats are not that comfortable and the engine idles rough. Just change the oil and bring it for regular checkups. Tires are good but expensive to change. Rotate them often with AWD.

Favorite Features

The AWD is the best feature. Handles well on the highway. Standard roof racks and the rear door opens upward for ease of loading. The ground clearance appears to be better than full size pickups.

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend offering a V6 but the trend is to offer a new model. It would be nice if the rear window slid down, but it may allow fumes in. The luxury package seems to be worth the money.

This Subies got it
By silversubaru

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We live in western New York where we deal with our fair share of snow. Let me tell you this car has what it takes. I feel so safe driving this car. On a recent trip downstate, I traveled our state thruway. The weather was terrible - snow and freezing rain. I saw several pickups and larger SUV's off the highway in ditches and snowbanks. My Subie just kept going and adjusted when making lane changes in frozen slush tire tracks. Felt solid, stable, secure.

Favorite Features

This is my first car with heater wipers, 6 CD changer, heated side mirrors, heated seats. Love them all! Love the HUGE moonroof. The AWD is seamless and does great in all weather conditions. Best bang for the buck in any small SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Let's work the on the gas mileage and bring that up some. Make the armrest taller.

looks tougher than it is
By Jimmy

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nice ride, good mileage and easy getting in and out. Not too quiet from the outside. The steering was off a bit after 500 miles because I went over a 2 foot high pile of dirt. A side view mirror cracked cracked in half on a winter night. The back seat is for little people only. The brakes didn't last too long either, it pulled to the right every stop after 10,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The view from the windows, the climate control, cd sound system, all weather traction in rain or snow.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger against weather and terrain.

Can't wait to buy another...
By jmonk

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned; responsive, fun to drive; reliable and comfortable during the long drives. The new styling is appealing and the improvements to the interior affords storage and accessibility without taking your eyes off the road. I bought my Forester in February, so I was able to test its AWD ability...I was impressed. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone young or old. The base model offers just more than enough options.

Favorite Features

AWD, Interior styling, cargo, ground clearance, responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not too fond of the cupholders and the gas tank could be a tad bit larger.

Great in snow & ice
By Dockhawg2

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in Dec 02- live in snow country , so this car works great. Feels very secure on curvy, snowy roads. I would buy another Suby.

Favorite Features

Build quality, AWD

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, armrest, cupholders.