2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Forester Fun
By Derry on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

No problems; drives like a dream in snow which we get a lot of.

GREAT VALUE AND QUALITY
By ScienceChick on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed to retire my Mustang convertible from daily driver and wanted a practical vehicle that could actually go in bad weather. Generally don't like SUV's, but co-worker has a 2001 S that has been excellent. My car is totally stripped down, yet it still has so many basic features like power windows, doors, and cruise control. Standard cloth seats, A/C and CD player are good enough for me, but 6-CD, leather, moonroof, and climate control are available on higher models. No other smaller hatchback (Ford Focus ZX5, Mazda Protege5, Toyota Matrix)had anywhere near the cargo room.

Excellent vehicle!
By Mrs.Bean on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I very recently purchased a 2003 Forester 2.5x after months of researching & test driving. Not only was it a pleasure dealing with the sales staff, they were extremely fair. The car/truck/wagon is perfect. I'm a new mom, and we love to camp and hike. The Forester is a perfect for going to the grocery store as well as going for a day trip to the mountains. I must admit- it's feels "cooler" than a station wagon, while not being a gas guzzling SUV. It's been a pleasure to drive!

LOVE IT!
By oro on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I hesitated to write a review, because I wanted to see how well the car held up over time. Well, it's been a year now, so here I am. This is the first car I've ever purchased, and I'm very happy with my decision. Friends still kid me about getting a WRX, but I say to heck with it! In the last year, I've been in an accident (insurance covered), and helped 2 friends moved. My Forester still keeps on going!

EXPERIENCE, MINE
By VINCE R. NEUHEIMER on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

SUBARU IS THE MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. WE HAVE HAD SUBARUS IN OUR FAMILY SINCE 1985, AND I HAVE NEVER EVER REGRETTED IT. THEY ARE A 100% QUALITY VEHICLE, FAR SUPERIOR TO MOST CARS ON THE ROAD. (I HAVE NEVER HAD A LIGHT BULB INSIDE OR OUTSIDE BURN OUT) RIDE

2003 vs 2002
By Nova Tony on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We've had a 2002 Forester S Premium for a little over two years; and like it so much that we recently replaced our other car with a 2003 XS with the premium leather package. Both are auto trans. Drove the 2003 from Virginia up to Acadia Maine and spent a month driving in Maine and Western Massachusetts (3000 miles). No complaints, very similar to the prior model (which is an excellent vehicle) except for a flaw in the driver's seat adjustment mechanism.

A wise choice and dun to drive!
By DarwinTheDog on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I decided to replace my Nissan Frontier I was a bit unsure about what type of vehicle would best suit my needs. I wanted more interior space, better gas mileage and a more comfortable ride. But I didn't want to give up having 4-wheel drive, and wanted to have some cargo room. I looked at the Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV and eventually the Subaru Forester. The Forester is fun to drive (not like a sports car, but for a small SUV it handles very well), the fuel economy is good, it has great safety features (#1 small SUV in Insurance Institute Study), is reliable (according to Consumer Reports), and comfortable.

Very nice vehicle
By EWG on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Test drove and priced several other comparable models, but none matched the Forester for features and overall performance. I drive mostly highway and it has lots of pep for a 4 cyl. Anyone in the market for a small SUV/crossover should test drive the Forester.

Great Car. Run Forrest Run.
By run_forrest_run on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy the AWD excellent handling. Premium package has all the amenities; leather, heated seats, heated mirrors and wipers, fog lights, mudguards, 6 CD stereo (spring for the speaker upgrade), climate control, and a huge sunroof. I added the deflector and took off my roof rails to cut down on noise. 4-cylinder engine is zippy - has great highway acceleration - more get-up and go than the 6 cylinder Buick I traded. Handling and parking are a dream. Now I know why so many Subaru owners buy again. Before you buy check-out their website partners. They have discount deals when you support their trading partners.

Wind noise
By DavisJ on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I first took delivery of my '03 Forester, there was terrible wind noise while driving on the highway. BUT, after a while this went away. Perhaps the moldings formed to the door frames. But if you are one who is suffering from this problem. Hang in there - it should go away.