2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Genuine SUV
By Zeke3579 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Wanted an SUV for toughness and abilities. Looked at practically all and listened to what everone said - carefully. Had owned a Subaru wagon previously so deliberately left that to last. Absolutely no comparison, even went back to refresh my memory of the best of the competition. The Forester is relatively simple (not all bells & whistles of say Ford Escape) but does it all so much better - eg, space, comfort, access, reliability etc, etc. Yes, it could be better as nothing is absolutely perfect but the topper is that it is the safest SUV on the road. That and its clear vision from anywhere inside means most to me, and my family.

This is a great car!
By bigdanhall on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally pleased with this car, it's great. I am 6'4 and my wife is 5'6 so we were looking for a car that would fit us both. It had to be roomy to travel in and I have this thing about simplicity and sturdiness. This has been an excellent choice. I love the zippiness of the Forester, it really has a bunch of pick up. Definetly get the 5 speed Manual. We have about 10,000 miles on it and it has proven to be reliable and fun to drive. You can get this car for less than $18,000 if you wheel and deal right.Subaru should offer leather and sunroof on 5 speed manual.

Best Car I've Owned
By XCCoachLou on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great. I have 4000 miles on it since I bought it in June. First, it is extremely comfortable. All the controls are logically placed. It is very easy to change the radio, or adjust the temperature. The visibility from the Driver's seat is incredible. Secondly, the ride is incredible. In heavy rainstorms, it felt like most other cars on dry pavement. It was sure and steady. The gas mileage has been better than EPA estimates. On a recent 250 mile road trip, I got over 29 MPG and that includes being stuck in traffic for an hour. Finally, it is quiet. It is quieter at highway speeds than any other car I have owned, including sedans.

Forester in the rockies
By Mountaingirl on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutly love my forester. I have never had any mechanical problems with it and i am at 28,000 miles. I live in the rockie mountains of colorado and the AWD has made life so easy come winter time. while i see others digging out their cars i just hop in and drive away.

Luv it
By stosh on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Has exceeded every expectation. I have put 60000 miles on the vehicle in two years and I still look forward to getting behind the wheel.

Joef's Subaru
By joef on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle has great acceleration, corners well and handles well in snow and ice. The visabilty is fantastic. The interior is well defined. Every control is within reach.

forester 2003
By zoie on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fouth Subaru, I like the Forester, it handles well, and overall is a great car. My milage is 26-27 mpg.

First year down, many more to go
By moon43man on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I researched the mini suv's and bought a 2003 Forester. I was worried about the lack of space, but after a year of use, I no longer have that concern. It really proved itself after hauling my son and all of his stuff 800 miles away to college. With a roof cargo carrier from Sears and the Forester's rear compartment loaded up, I got 28 mpg @ 75 mph. It was a comfortable ride and actually has more leg room than the Safari mini van. The Forester is not as large as my previous vehicles, but then I didn't get 28 mpg with them. I guess there are trade offs with everything, but for a all round, do just about anything vehicle, I am very satisfied with my choice.

Never thought we'd..............
By K&M on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought we'd own a Subaru. In fact, Subaru wasn't even on our radar screen until we checked safety ratings. I went from a Durango to the Forester and I can honestly say that my wife and I love this car, er, SUV, er crossover, er, whatver they want to call it! Anyone looking I'd say go to the Subaru dealer and just buy one! It's a great car year 'round, but especially in rain or in winter. Can fit plenty of things inside. Our Forester just plain works. We're now thinking of eventually replacing my wife's car with a Subaru. We're glad we discovered how good they are.

Much better than expected
By gdgg on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Got the 2.5X after looking all small SUV's and test driving the CRV and Escape. The Forester had the best ride/handling/road manners. Downsized from a extended minivan (family of 4) haven't missed it, not even on our long summer trips. Put a Thule box on carry gear for trips and camping. Overall, the car surprizes us with how fun it is to drive and how refined it is for a small car. My wife would rather drive the Forester than her Lexus ES300! Turbo would be great fun, but has even worse fuel economy.