2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Fun Drive
By pmac on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wise choice for a small SUV. It handles surprisly well on the road and has very good visability. I didn't expect as much quickness from a four cylinder. Decline the winter package and buy a remote starter.

What a great ride
By Zarfo on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Never owned a Subaru before, always had honda, VW or Dodge. When my 94 Dakota was failing I saw the re design of the Forester, they took a sick pup and made it look good. I insisted on the 5 speed cause the auto trans in the Dakota was poor and I was giving up a V6 to a 4 and I pull a small trailer. Well the Forester does a better job then the Dakota. The handling and comfort are great. Drove 1400 mile to Florida loaded down for vacation with ease and got up to 32 MPG. Ski trip to Vermont should prove it's worth in real snow. I'm ready to trade in my wife's 02 VW Jetta for another Subaru. I'm very happy with my Forester.

Can't beat the value
By Crockett Actuary on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling for an AWD vehicle. Great visibility, headroom (I'm 6'4"), and front-seat legroom. Excellent cornering. Could use a tad more passing acceleration, but it's only a 4- cyl, and is fine. Liked the pre-2003 exterior styling more (was more unique), now it looks like a Honda.

Forester beats Nor'easter Dec. 2003
By JRF on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was able to get home when many others could not. It was very sure-footed in the deep snow. When other SUVs were stuck, I made it through. I'm a believer! There is no substitue! I looked at the Audi A4 quattro 1.8T. The Subaru drove as well, 3 times the cargo, and $12,000 less...and no joke the Audi guy said "but this is an Audi".

Forester Rocks
By Sam098731 on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Brilliant car to drive. Perfect response to braking, steering and accelerating. Brilliant handling and road surety. A bit slugish in the 30- 50Mph range is only complaint.

Excellent
By CBalchin on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is an excellent vehicle which we have driven hard in its first year. Highly recommended especially if you live where the winters are rough.

My Snow-Bunny-Mud-Car
By C. T.Dunn on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Forester after my 2 WD Avalon crashed on a mountain ice patch. I have affectionaltely named it my Snow-bunny- mud-car. It has never been stopped by snow, rain or mud, but has its own personality that "senses" possible trouble, and literally takes over for me! It seems to want to say, "Ok mom, let me handle this!" I moved here from Southern California,and had to get used to driving on ice. The day after my Avalon died, friends of mine in Colorado did a car ratings check that put the Forester on top. I now feel safer driving in winter mountain conditions.

A Happy Owner for Over a Year Now
By Kan on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought it when it first came on the market. I am very pleased so far. I travel several times in this vehicle and feel very comfortable over long drive.

First time Subaruer
By The Katster on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The height of the vehicle is great to get in and out of the vehicle. I find the get up and go a little sluggish, especially on a fresh start/pull out. The feel of driving is fun and enjoyable on long trips. The cargo area is extremely handy in comparison to a standard car with a trunk.

Made the right choice
By Barry W on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did the research and study on several SUV models and test drove several, including the Forester. My wife had her heart set on a Forester but I was not yet convinced this was the best choice. Knowing this was her car we negotiated a deal and purchaced a 2003 Forester. The longer I drive it the more I'm convinced we made the right choice. Our fuel milage has been averaging 26-29mpg and it's a pleasure to drive. The Forester seems a little small for me but not bad, and it's a perfect fit for my wife.