Used 2003 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Can't beat the value
By Crockett Actuary

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling for an AWD vehicle. Great visibility, headroom (I'm 6'4"), and front-seat legroom. Excellent cornering. Could use a tad more passing acceleration, but it's only a 4- cyl, and is fine. Liked the pre-2003 exterior styling more (was more unique), now it looks like a Honda.

Favorite Features

Front-seat roominess & visibility and handling

Suggested Improvements

A bit more engine pep. I understand the '04 is adding an optional turbo- charged engine, which probably takes care of that

First time Subaruer
By The Katster

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The height of the vehicle is great to get in and out of the vehicle. I find the get up and go a little sluggish, especially on a fresh start/pull out. The feel of driving is fun and enjoyable on long trips. The cargo area is extremely handy in comparison to a standard car with a trunk.

Favorite Features

Cargo bay and lots of storage compartments

Suggested Improvements

Need light in the glove box, lighted mirror on passanger sun flap and compartment for CD cases

Made the right choice
By Barry W

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did the research and study on several SUV models and test drove several, including the Forester. My wife had her heart set on a Forester but I was not yet convinced this was the best choice. Knowing this was her car we negotiated a deal and purchaced a 2003 Forester. The longer I drive it the more I'm convinced we made the right choice. Our fuel milage has been averaging 26-29mpg and it's a pleasure to drive. The Forester seems a little small for me but not bad, and it's a perfect fit for my wife.

Favorite Features

auto dimming rear view mirror. (I would have never thought it important but now I'm spoiled by it)

Suggested Improvements

maybe a little more arm and shoulder room for us bigger guys and when my back aches I could use a bit more lumbar support then given by the seat.

This is a great car!
By bigdanhall

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally pleased with this car, it's great. I am 6'4 and my wife is 5'6 so we were looking for a car that would fit us both. It had to be roomy to travel in and I have this thing about simplicity and sturdiness. This has been an excellent choice. I love the zippiness of the Forester, it really has a bunch of pick up. Definetly get the 5 speed Manual. We have about 10,000 miles on it and it has proven to be reliable and fun to drive. You can get this car for less than $18,000 if you wheel and deal right.Subaru should offer leather and sunroof on 5 speed manual.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, feels very zippy. Great stock tires (Yokahama). The dependability of Subaru. AWD is excellent! Feels stable on slippery roads. Antilock brakes standard. The body style is very user friendly. Is a great deal for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Body feels like tin and dents easily. A mid door body strip would help protect the body from parking lot dings. More fun gadgets on the interior. Only has one auto window setting (drivers side window goes down automatically with one push). Windows should have an auto up/down feature

GREAT VALUE AND QUALITY
By ScienceChick

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed to retire my Mustang convertible from daily driver and wanted a practical vehicle that could actually go in bad weather. Generally don't like SUV's, but co-worker has a 2001 S that has been excellent. My car is totally stripped down, yet it still has so many basic features like power windows, doors, and cruise control. Standard cloth seats, A/C and CD player are good enough for me, but 6-CD, leather, moonroof, and climate control are available on higher models. No other smaller hatchback (Ford Focus ZX5, Mazda Protege5, Toyota Matrix)had anywhere near the cargo room.

Favorite Features

Nice redesign of interior and exterior, Pacifica Blue exterior color, AWD, ABS plus front & side airbags, cargo shade, storage compartments, car-like ride, available Subaru accessories from dealer

Suggested Improvements

Six-speed manual, White-faced gauges would look cool :)