Used 2003 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

good car could be great
By Frank Gerechter

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is solid and practical. Some small complaints. Lumbar support is not great. Could be a bit longer in size. CD player is fair. Power is ok for most conditions. Would I buy another one? Yes, but will look at several other similar models too.

Easy to drive.

See my review. Tires are not my favorite. Bridgestone tires are not very good in the wear and tear factor.

Fun and Reliable
By pmacg

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle drives surprisingly well and can climb very well too! The gas mileage is very good because of the 4 cylinder engine. It is peppy but slows down with cargo as expected. The roof racks are standard and accept most carriers.

How it grabs the road in snow and rain.

For improvements, spend more for the XS with leather, moonroof, and aluminum rims. Turbo is available on newer models. The backseats are uncomfortable.

Good Northeast Car
By cmac

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for the dollar. Handles very well and gets good mileage if driven smooth. The pickup is quick but will show it is a 4 cylinder with 4 people and cargo. The seats are not that comfortable and the engine idles rough. Just change the oil and bring it for regular checkups. Tires are good but expensive to change. Rotate them often with AWD.

The AWD is the best feature. Handles well on the highway. Standard roof racks and the rear door opens upward for ease of loading. The ground clearance appears to be better than full size pickups.

I would recommend offering a V6 but the trend is to offer a new model. It would be nice if the rear window slid down, but it may allow fumes in. The luxury package seems to be worth the money.

This Subies got it
By silversubaru

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We live in western New York where we deal with our fair share of snow. Let me tell you this car has what it takes. I feel so safe driving this car. On a recent trip downstate, I traveled our state thruway. The weather was terrible - snow and freezing rain. I saw several pickups and larger SUV's off the highway in ditches and snowbanks. My Subie just kept going and adjusted when making lane changes in frozen slush tire tracks. Felt solid, stable, secure.

This is my first car with heater wipers, 6 CD changer, heated side mirrors, heated seats. Love them all! Love the HUGE moonroof. The AWD is seamless and does great in all weather conditions. Best bang for the buck in any small SUV.

Let's work the on the gas mileage and bring that up some. Make the armrest taller.

Can't wait to buy another...
By jmonk

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned; responsive, fun to drive; reliable and comfortable during the long drives. The new styling is appealing and the improvements to the interior affords storage and accessibility without taking your eyes off the road. I bought my Forester in February, so I was able to test its AWD ability...I was impressed. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone young or old. The base model offers just more than enough options.

AWD, Interior styling, cargo, ground clearance, responsiveness.

I'm not too fond of the cupholders and the gas tank could be a tad bit larger.