2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Can't beat the value
By Crockett Actuary on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling for an AWD vehicle. Great visibility, headroom (I'm 6'4"), and front-seat legroom. Excellent cornering. Could use a tad more passing acceleration, but it's only a 4- cyl, and is fine. Liked the pre-2003 exterior styling more (was more unique), now it looks like a Honda.

First time Subaruer
By The Katster on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The height of the vehicle is great to get in and out of the vehicle. I find the get up and go a little sluggish, especially on a fresh start/pull out. The feel of driving is fun and enjoyable on long trips. The cargo area is extremely handy in comparison to a standard car with a trunk.

Made the right choice
By Barry W on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did the research and study on several SUV models and test drove several, including the Forester. My wife had her heart set on a Forester but I was not yet convinced this was the best choice. Knowing this was her car we negotiated a deal and purchaced a 2003 Forester. The longer I drive it the more I'm convinced we made the right choice. Our fuel milage has been averaging 26-29mpg and it's a pleasure to drive. The Forester seems a little small for me but not bad, and it's a perfect fit for my wife.

This is a great car!
By bigdanhall on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally pleased with this car, it's great. I am 6'4 and my wife is 5'6 so we were looking for a car that would fit us both. It had to be roomy to travel in and I have this thing about simplicity and sturdiness. This has been an excellent choice. I love the zippiness of the Forester, it really has a bunch of pick up. Definetly get the 5 speed Manual. We have about 10,000 miles on it and it has proven to be reliable and fun to drive. You can get this car for less than $18,000 if you wheel and deal right.Subaru should offer leather and sunroof on 5 speed manual.

GREAT VALUE AND QUALITY
By ScienceChick on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Needed to retire my Mustang convertible from daily driver and wanted a practical vehicle that could actually go in bad weather. Generally don't like SUV's, but co-worker has a 2001 S that has been excellent. My car is totally stripped down, yet it still has so many basic features like power windows, doors, and cruise control. Standard cloth seats, A/C and CD player are good enough for me, but 6-CD, leather, moonroof, and climate control are available on higher models. No other smaller hatchback (Ford Focus ZX5, Mazda Protege5, Toyota Matrix)had anywhere near the cargo room.

EXPERIENCE, MINE
By VINCE R. NEUHEIMER on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

SUBARU IS THE MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED. WE HAVE HAD SUBARUS IN OUR FAMILY SINCE 1985, AND I HAVE NEVER EVER REGRETTED IT. THEY ARE A 100% QUALITY VEHICLE, FAR SUPERIOR TO MOST CARS ON THE ROAD. (I HAVE NEVER HAD A LIGHT BULB INSIDE OR OUTSIDE BURN OUT) RIDE

Very nice vehicle
By EWG on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Test drove and priced several other comparable models, but none matched the Forester for features and overall performance. I drive mostly highway and it has lots of pep for a 4 cyl. Anyone in the market for a small SUV/crossover should test drive the Forester.

Wind noise
By DavisJ on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I first took delivery of my '03 Forester, there was terrible wind noise while driving on the highway. BUT, after a while this went away. Perhaps the moldings formed to the door frames. But if you are one who is suffering from this problem. Hang in there - it should go away.

Every Camper Needs One
By KC in WA on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it at invoice May 27th and been lovin' it ever since. We took it camping to Yellowstone with 4 adults (~2900 mi)and it performed well off and on-road (30 mpg average with a cargo box!). The engine seemed a tad winded on very steep grades. Handles great even in tight curves and with a fully loaded cargo box! We took it places where no regular wagon would ever dream of going. The only thing it didn't do was make hot chocolate for us while we watched a wolf pack at 6 am!!

A Great Little Wagon
By joybell on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had two Subaru vehicles that lasted over 10 years without major repairs. I hope that my new Forester will be just as economical, reliable and practical to own. I really did not want an SUV, just a Japan-made Subaru wagon. I feel that is exactly what I got, with a bit of SUV styling. It certainly has a lot snappier engine than the older Subarus (1.8L) that I owned, which makes it more fun to drive. I am very happy and looking forward to many years of ownership of my 2003 Forester X.