Used 2003 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Most Helpful|
Best Car I've Owned
By XCCoachLou

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is great. I have 4000 miles on it since I bought it in June. First, it is extremely comfortable. All the controls are logically placed. It is very easy to change the radio, or adjust the temperature. The visibility from the Driver's seat is incredible. Secondly, the ride is incredible. In heavy rainstorms, it felt like most other cars on dry pavement. It was sure and steady. The gas mileage has been better than EPA estimates. On a recent 250 mile road trip, I got over 29 MPG and that includes being stuck in traffic for an hour. Finally, it is quiet. It is quieter at highway speeds than any other car I have owned, including sedans.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats. Heated Windshield Wiper De-Icers. Heated Outside Mirrors. :)

Suggested Improvements

Please make the center armrest taller.

Fun and Reliable
By pmacg

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle drives surprisingly well and can climb very well too! The gas mileage is very good because of the 4 cylinder engine. It is peppy but slows down with cargo as expected. The roof racks are standard and accept most carriers.

Favorite Features

How it grabs the road in snow and rain.

Suggested Improvements

For improvements, spend more for the XS with leather, moonroof, and aluminum rims. Turbo is available on newer models. The backseats are uncomfortable.

A Happy Camper, Overall
By Timber

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a wonderful vehicle thus far. I bought it for the AWD, and I feel really safe driving it in the snow and ice. I don't ride in the backseat, but I've heard from my passengers that it can be a little tight if you are over 6'0". The cargo room is just perfect for what I need it for. I enjoy finding new places to hide/store things. The front windows are rather noisy when driving at high speeds, but overall, I have been very pleased with my purchase. I did my research and it has paid off.

Favorite Features

AWD, easy to see out of, perfect size for two adults and two 100 lb dogs, and the safety rating.

Suggested Improvements

A diesel or hybrid engine would be nice, more comfortable seats and raise the console up a bit for an elbow rest.

Falling apart
By Gerterschnitz

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car new in 2002. It was fine for the first few years. It's been well maintained. However, in the past 2 years we have replaced sway bars twice; sway bar links need replacing; heater blower fan just died; several engine gaskets are seeping. The car is simply not built for much other than smooth highway driving. It's also noisy - and was right from the get-go. I would not buy again.

50,000 km and a huge bill
By kloc

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Forester has been maintained by our dealer since purchased new in late 2002. From day 1 it has had a coolant leak, a fact that has been pointed out to the dealer at every scheduled service. The dealer, of course, could not find the source of the coolant lead until after the warranty expired, whereupon we were told that the head gaskets were leaking and the car had developed piston slap to the point where driving the car was ill-advised. The master tech told me that Subaru has told dealers to ignore the problem until the warranty expires. Last Subaru I will ever purchase; this was our 7th.