2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
First Subaru
By M. Storm on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2003 Forester is exactly what I need in a car. AWD, easy to drive, great visibility for the dirver, and to other cars. I feel very much in control of the car when I'm driving, low road and wind noise, but I feel connected to the road. I had the chance to drive the Forester on steep winding roads, and I was passing Audi A4s, VW Jettas, and other SUVs. It provided ample power for the steep hills (and I was being cautious as the engine still wasn't broken in), and great handling around the sharp turns. For me this is the perfect combo of a wagon with the feel of an SUV.

Love this Car.
By newsub on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The new 2003 Forester is fantastic. It's fun to drive (zippy, even), really grips the road, and it isn't a gas- guzzling behemoth like other SUVs. It is roomy, especially lots of head room. Best of all when you're driving it feels solid and totally safe, not like other tippy tin-can mini-SUVs.

I love my
By MyCoco on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The first time I had ever heard of a Subaru Forester was when my husband and I got one as a rental car in Hawaii 4 years ago. I enjoyed that car so much that I have wanted one ever since and have finally got one. I wanted a small, but nice, SUV--and I feel like that is just what I got. I purchased a 2003 monotone silver with premium leather package. So far I have really enjoyed it. It seems to be of nicer quality than most cars in its class. The suspension in this car is more forgiving than in our Durango--not as stiff.

Outstanding value in every way
By AMGreer on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Forester X is a great value in terms of price, safety, and reliability. ABS and AWD are standard, and it has received good scores in all the crash tests. The driving position is great, even for short people like myself, and visibility is excellent. Handling is agile and stable, even when braking while turning hard. Lots of fun on dirt roads! I have no complaints.

Amendment to first review
By Tom S. on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Today (7/2/02) I read an article on SUV bumpers. It seem that the purchase of my '03 Forester was even a smarter decision than I thought. The Forester was the only mini SUV that obtained a "good" rating on a 5mph bumper bash. the Honda CRV and Saturn Vue both failed. I may need to amend my previous comment about Subarus being pricy. (It does seem that you get what you pay for!). I have 3000 miles on my XS and have been getting a consistent 25 mpg on the cheap ARCO 87 octane gas. I keep telling my wife how much I love the car, so maybe she won't take it from me!

One more time
By spot on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2001 Forester L for about 6 months prior to this. The 2002 is so much better! All the great new changes dont make me wish for the low APR I had on my '01.

Super Nice
By lykamitchell on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We looked at several small SUV's including Santa Fe, Escape, VUE,and Honda CRV. We didn't like the "feel of the CRV, especially the dash-mounted shifter. We were unsure of the reliability and fuel economy of the others. We test-drove a 2002 Forester and the driving position was unsatisfactory for my wife who is 5 ft tall. The 2003 Forester solved all the problems we had with the 2002 model and it was very easy to decide on it. We feel the dealer gave us a good discount, considering it was the first 2003 he sold.

Awesome handling
By LeoS on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best AWD ever. The best handling on freeway cruising and light duty off-roading. I put 200 miles on a car withing one weekend day, so far no complains. Climate control is the best to keep the temperature at the set level. I love this car and even my wife who previously was saying that Forester "is not fish, nor fowl" now asking to let her drive it.

2003 Forester 2.5X
By ace57 on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought an '03 soob forester X for my wife. So far very happy (only 700 miles) Build quality and fit/finish very good. Handling excellent. Interior not plush but firm/supportive. Base CD player fine. Room pretty decent for a basically subcompact frame. Visibility excellent. Controls easy to operate, wiper stick a little complicated LOL. Exterior looks are sharp, IMO, better looking than previous generation. Wind noise acceptable, dB at idle,low. Auto tranny shifts smoothly. Ride decent for a 99 inch wheelbase. 16 inch wheels excellent. So far, awesome little crossover vehicle, well, its really a little wagon on steroids....

Tom's 2003 Subie XS
By Tom Stodola on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I waited to see the 2003 model, and we are not dissappointed! The new styling makes the car appear like a new model. The reliability of the Subaru nameplate was critical in buying this car,considering the priciness of the Subaru marque. We have owned many Toyotas in the past. With a second home in the mountains, we needed a car with all-wheel drive and yet needed good fuel economy for my drive into Los Angeles for work. Currently, I am very happy with my mileage, which averages 24.5 miles per gallon. I think my wife is going to wrest the Forester away from me very soon.