2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
LOVE this car!!!
By jcribari on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a toyota for 15 years and loved it. It was hard for me to change vehicle makes because I love toyotas reliability. My boyfriend is an avid subaru fan and convinced me to switch. He was right in so many ways! This is an awesome vehicle and worth every penny! I have 1500 miles on my new 2003 XS and am amazed at where it will go. This vehicle blows toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV out of the water! Love the new design.

stealth dad
By subie-daddy on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My kids enjoy it as much as i do. The two boys have the knack of closing the door with just enough force to get that solid german door sound (they are 3 and 4 yrs old)interior design appealing and comfortable, engine healthy (the engine growls nicely), sound sys. nice n' clear, handles nimbly at reasonable speeds, more than sufficient power for a 4 cyl, after 2K miles i still walk around my forester the "long way" and drool

2003 Forester-Firdt new car in 30 years
By JIMBOB17 on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I tested the Forester on a long hill with full A/C and the manual Forester had plenty left. 25-27 mpg the last few fillups. Its quiet inside and fun to drive. My wife is disabled and its easier for her to get out of the Forester than the car she uses. I'm 6'4" and there is plenty of head and leg room. Great visibility compared to competitors cars I test drove. When you get the Forester get the Rubberized cargo liner. It will save the carpet.

03 Forester X impression
By rsay777 on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I can't think of much to say on the negative side but I would get rid of the ash tray and turn it into storage. I would also line the coin holder to keep the coins form rattling. The in the console cup holders need to be deeper and tapered to allow for diferent size cups. What a pleasure to drive this is my fourth Subarau 79,82,91,03. 29.8 mpg on the first tank, could this be? The time was right for me to buy and I'm glad I waited for the re-Forester.

Love it!!!
By ElleninChicago on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just brought home my 2003 Forester and couldn't be happier. It's great for city driving so far. I got the XS with no extra options and it feels like a luxury car because (almost) everything I want/need is now standard on the '03, including keyless entry and CD player. It's awesome.

My first new car
By SubaruForesterFAN on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It took me over 6 months to decide which one will be my first new car. Santa Fe, Jetta Wagon, Matrix, Protege5 all good cars but Forester win my heart. Now, after 100 miles I still believe that is the best deal of my life. I love it, I love it, I love! Fun to drive, a lot of personality, gigantic sunroof size.

I finally got one!
By sagebailleechloe on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am very impressed so far with the Forester. It has everything I need and more. When the snow starts falling I will feel a whole lot safer and in control. When taking the test drive, our dealer salesperson had us do some off road stuff, and that sold me on it immediately.

Forester smokes CR-V
By Hutchiii on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Do not waste your time with the CR-V. The 2003 Forester smokes the CR-V! We have had our 2003 Forester XS for a month now. No problems at all! The CR-V does NOT have full time all wheel drive. It is a four wheel drive system that does not engage all wheels until the front wheels lose traction. The basic design is bad! You have to lose traction/control in the CR-V before all wheels engage. Not too smart! I thought the idea of all wheel drive is to not lose control! Don’t let the four cylinders fool you in the 2003 Forester. It is quick. We recommend the 5-speed over the automatic transmission. And to answer your question, no, I do not work for Subaru.

Best small SUV
By RK on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I compared this to the RAV4 and CRV. RAV4 was quickly excluded because of its poor performance in crash tests and because side airbags are not available. The CRV lost because the 03 Forester is far more fun to drive. Also the Forester's really huge moonroof/sunroof was a big selling point.

2003 Subaru Forester XS Premium
By Larry Clarke on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

My wife & I purchase a 2001 Subaru Forester in March of 2000. We had been very pleased with it reliability and comfort. When the 03 Forester came out we drove it and purchased three days later. The improvements are more leg room front and back. More responsive suspension & feel of the road. Improved styling both interior & exterior, and they eliminated most of the road noise with better insulation in the rear.