Used 2003 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Wind noise
By DavisJ

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I first took delivery of my '03 Forester, there was terrible wind noise while driving on the highway. BUT, after a while this went away. Perhaps the moldings formed to the door frames. But if you are one who is suffering from this problem. Hang in there - it should go away.

Interior and exterior styling.

None at this time.

Every Camper Needs One
By KC in WA

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it at invoice May 27th and been lovin' it ever since. We took it camping to Yellowstone with 4 adults (~2900 mi)and it performed well off and on-road (30 mpg average with a cargo box!). The engine seemed a tad winded on very steep grades. Handles great even in tight curves and with a fully loaded cargo box! We took it places where no regular wagon would ever dream of going. The only thing it didn't do was make hot chocolate for us while we watched a wolf pack at 6 am!!

Wagon bodystyle, AWD, ground clearance, CD player that doesn't skip while driving on fire roads, Colour scheme (green with tan interior), 12 V outlets

Interior Scotchguard treatment or more rugged upholstery. Why doesn't a 20K vehicle have a standard security alarm? Few more hp (not via a turbo, I want the same mpg).

A Great Little Wagon
By joybell

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had two Subaru vehicles that lasted over 10 years without major repairs. I hope that my new Forester will be just as economical, reliable and practical to own. I really did not want an SUV, just a Japan-made Subaru wagon. I feel that is exactly what I got, with a bit of SUV styling. It certainly has a lot snappier engine than the older Subarus (1.8L) that I owned, which makes it more fun to drive. I am very happy and looking forward to many years of ownership of my 2003 Forester X.

Agile, solid handling, comfortable interior, smart front and rear styling, good size tires, AWD

Gid rid of the thick pillars behind the rear passenger sear, bring back the earlier Forester model taller "greenhouse" windows, design smaller head restraints. Provide standard mudflaps.

Out to Lunch on New Forrester Purchase
By J.J.

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2003 Subaru Forrester XS, prem/lthr. Biggest complaint is a horrible blind spot on the left side. The right side is great. I use the rearview and side mirrors when switching to the left lanes on the highway. As an extra precaution I turn my head to the left and my view is seriously hindered by the panel that is between the side and rear windows. It's really a dreadful feeling as I feel as if it is "merge or die" and I hate to solely rely on mirrors only. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, then how do you overcome? Really interested in your comments. Am seriously considering a trade on a one-month old car. Many thanks.

Leather, heated seats and mirrors. Sporty tires. Pretty silver color.

Arm Rest extension is too short and too hard. Blind spot on the left side is a challenge.

2003 Subaru Forester XS premium/leather
By merliech

I purchased the car back in February, just in time for the snow! It handles wonderfully. Also, I'm just under 5 feet tall and can see perfectly out of this car. No problems with the car so far. Intend to keep for a long time. Also, had a great experience with the dealership.

heated seats/windshield wipers, sunroof, upgraded stereo, AWD.

put a light on lock/unlock button, add power seat option.