Used 2003 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2003 vs 2002
By Nova Tony

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We've had a 2002 Forester S Premium for a little over two years; and like it so much that we recently replaced our other car with a 2003 XS with the premium leather package. Both are auto trans. Drove the 2003 from Virginia up to Acadia Maine and spent a month driving in Maine and Western Massachusetts (3000 miles). No complaints, very similar to the prior model (which is an excellent vehicle) except for a flaw in the driver's seat adjustment mechanism.

Favorite Features

Auto open and close feature of the power moon roof, new for the 2003.

Suggested Improvements

The 2002 driver's seat height adjustment is far more sophisticated -- both the front and the rear adjust up and down independently. The 2003 has been cheapened with a single adjustment in the front. Needs the dual adjustments, or a power option.

A wise choice and dun to drive!
By DarwinTheDog

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When I decided to replace my Nissan Frontier I was a bit unsure about what type of vehicle would best suit my needs. I wanted more interior space, better gas mileage and a more comfortable ride. But I didn't want to give up having 4-wheel drive, and wanted to have some cargo room. I looked at the Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV and eventually the Subaru Forester. The Forester is fun to drive (not like a sports car, but for a small SUV it handles very well), the fuel economy is good, it has great safety features (#1 small SUV in Insurance Institute Study), is reliable (according to Consumer Reports), and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Of course I love the sunroof, but it was really the handling that won my over. Of all the cars I looked at and drove this was the most fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more room in the backseat would be nice. Would also like to see Subaru offer XM radio as an option.

Very nice vehicle
By EWG

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Test drove and priced several other comparable models, but none matched the Forester for features and overall performance. I drive mostly highway and it has lots of pep for a 4 cyl. Anyone in the market for a small SUV/crossover should test drive the Forester.

Favorite Features

Easy to get in and out of, CD stereo is surprisingly good, new styling on 2003 model was a big improvement.

Suggested Improvements

Minor complaints: I drive mostly highway and I get 28 mpg. It would be nice to get a little better mileage. The arm rest in in an awkward place for the 5 spd shifter.

Great Car. Run Forrest Run.
By run_forrest_run

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I enjoy the AWD excellent handling. Premium package has all the amenities; leather, heated seats, heated mirrors and wipers, fog lights, mudguards, 6 CD stereo (spring for the speaker upgrade), climate control, and a huge sunroof. I added the deflector and took off my roof rails to cut down on noise. 4-cylinder engine is zippy - has great highway acceleration - more get-up and go than the 6 cylinder Buick I traded. Handling and parking are a dream. Now I know why so many Subaru owners buy again. Before you buy check-out their website partners. They have discount deals when you support their trading partners.

Favorite Features

Safety, sunroof, AWD, great visibility, quality fit and construction, versatile cargo area, climate control, averaging 30 MPG (60% hwy).

Suggested Improvements

Power seat adjustment, hope to see hybrid engine offered.

Love It
By cdm

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just moved from a 96 Legacy LS wagon to an 03 Forester, prem. pkg with leather. Car is a joy to drive and the sunroof is as big as all outdoors. Only have it for about two weeks so can't say much more.