Used 2003 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Just not a great car
By karlou

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for ten years (bought new) and almost 130K miles. Many problems from the start, not the least of which was the flames coming out the tailpipe towards the end of the first year. Has needed much maintenance and repair over the years, and one important fact about subarus - they rust. So surprised in this day and age how rusty this car has gotten, and I'm very good about washing the car (including underneath). Wind noise bad almost from the start, and three trips to dealership never got it better. Very cheap interior materials, now looking to finally get new and better vehicle. Never again a Subaru!

Favorite Features

Visibility is great, probably my favorite feature over height in ride and cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru, please figure out how to make a car that doesn't rust this fast!

I like
By Ala

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My ex was an 86 Tarago GLI van that can get bogged on a football field, yet I was able to force it to go into 4WD territory mainly cos of the ground clearance. Subaru AWD is awesome, and the comfort level is a huge step for me in all respects. Being an 03 model the head gasket was done before I purchased it at 160K. It's is a manual with lo-range. Tearing off in lo-range there are no wheelies, just a rocket forward up a steep slope. Handling in the dirt or on the tar is impeccable. Anti-lok brakes are a welcome novelty. The 2.5 L boxer is edgy and free-revving making this a driver's vehicle. Handles like a well mannered car, better than the cars I drive. Love it

Favorite Features

AWD, better comforts, a lurker with attitude.

Suggested Improvements

Nah, already been suggested by pernikkity others.

Avg car
By Angel

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Noise on highway, expensive maintenance, hard to fit car seats, good handling, good gas mileage. I was not happy with it, that I had to replace it with a Honda Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Exterior look, dashboard. AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat. Needs more insulation.

We live over a 1200 foot high mountain.
By Helen Laughlin

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We don't know from one day to the next what our weather will be in the winter. The Subaru is wonderful. This past winter the regular road was closed and we decided to take the summer only road. There was 6 inches of snow on the road and the Subaru went through it just fine. My daughter is in the Air Force and we are looking to help her buy a new Forester. You never know where you will be and it will get you through. It holds to the road just superbly. I drove 18 wheelers in all weather across the U.S. and my Subaru is just as fantastic to drive.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car holds the road and just grabs on when there is added moisture. If I could I would buy everyone I know a Subaru Forester.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be a little better. We get 25 MPG. I have gotten 30 MPG on the Interstate and keeping the sped about 60 MPG.

Piston Slap
By Duke

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Subie a month ago with 62K on the OD. The boxer engines are prone to piston slap and mine was no exception. I bought it stipulating that the piston slap would be remedied and it was (valves were adjusted).The car does what it's supposed to do - gets you around with decent gas mileage and sure-footedness in inclement weather. This suv is 6 years old and I am confidant I will still be driving it 6 years from now.

Favorite Features

AWD, reliability, fit and finish, fog lights, storage capability.

Suggested Improvements

Piston slap needs to be remedied before purchasing.