Used 2003 Subaru Forester X Wagon Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

First Suby I have ever owned and just love my car!
By T Harding

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My sister who has a 2012 Forester heard about this car becoming available for me, so she is the one who helped me. She has a lot of experience with Subarus. The car only had 74,000 miles on it when I got it. It had also recently had the head gasket repaired, and the car had a thorough look through an an excellent mechanic before I got it. I have loved this car from the get go. I find it fun to drive, easy to drive, and so far I have only had service to the tune of one alignment and oil changes. The mechanic has told me I should have no problems with the car up until I need the timing belt/chain replaced at about 100,000 miles. But given I don't drive too much that should be years down the road. I love how the car handles too, esp. on the road. Very very comfortable road car. I can't think of a thing I don't like. I love all the extra little storage places on the inside, and also like the fact that it comes with a lot of tools in the trunk if I ever needed them. I enjoyed driving the car in snow this winter, and had no problems even with all season radials. I plan on having the car for some time so it will receive a lot of tlc.

Just not a great car
By karlou

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for ten years (bought new) and almost 130K miles.
Many problems from the start, not the least of which was the flames coming out the tailpipe towards the end of the first year.
Has needed much maintenance and repair over the years, and one important fact about subarus - they rust.
So surprised in this day and age how rusty this car has gotten, and I'm very good about washing the car (including underneath).
Wind noise bad almost from the start, and three trips to dealership never got it better.
Very cheap interior materials, now looking to finally get new and better vehicle.
Never again a Subaru!

Visibility is great, probably my favorite feature over height in ride and cargo room.

Subaru, please figure out how to make a car that doesn't rust this fast!

I like
By Ala

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My ex was an 86 Tarago GLI van that can get bogged on a football field, yet I was able to force it to go into 4WD territory mainly cos of the ground clearance. Subaru AWD is awesome, and the comfort level is a huge step for me in all respects. Being an 03 model the head gasket was done before I purchased it at 160K. It's is a manual with lo-range. Tearing off in lo-range there are no wheelies, just a rocket forward up a steep slope. Handling in the dirt or on the tar is impeccable. Anti-lok brakes are a welcome novelty. The 2.5 L boxer is edgy and free-revving making this a driver's vehicle. Handles like a well mannered car, better than the cars I drive. Love it

AWD, better comforts, a lurker with attitude.

Nah, already been suggested by pernikkity others.

Avg car
By Angel

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Noise on highway, expensive maintenance, hard to fit car seats, good handling, good gas mileage. I was not happy with it, that I had to replace it with a Honda Odyssey.

Exterior look, dashboard. AWD.

Back seat. Needs more insulation.

We live over a 1200 foot high mountain.
By Helen Laughlin

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We don't know from one day to the next what our weather will be in the winter. The Subaru is wonderful. This past winter the regular road was closed and we decided to take the summer only road. There was 6 inches of snow on the road and the Subaru went through it just fine. My daughter is in the Air Force and we are looking to help her buy a new Forester. You never know where you will be and it will get you through. It holds to the road just superbly. I drove 18 wheelers in all weather across the U.S. and my Subaru is just as fantastic to drive.

I love the way the car holds the road and just grabs on when there is added moisture. If I could I would buy everyone I know a Subaru Forester.

Gas mileage could be a little better. We get 25 MPG. I have gotten 30 MPG on the Interstate and keeping the sped about 60 MPG.