Used 2003 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

First Suby I have ever owned and just love my car!
By T Harding

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My sister who has a 2012 Forester heard about this car becoming available for me, so she is the one who helped me. She has a lot of experience with Subarus. The car only had 74,000 miles on it when I got it. It had also recently had the head gasket repaired, and the car had a thorough look through an an excellent mechanic before I got it. I have loved this car from the get go. I find it fun to drive, easy to drive, and so far I have only had service to the tune of one alignment and oil changes. The mechanic has told me I should have no problems with the car up until I need the timing belt/chain replaced at about 100,000 miles. But given I don't drive too much that should be years down the road. I love how the car handles too, esp. on the road. Very very comfortable road car. I can't think of a thing I don't like. I love all the extra little storage places on the inside, and also like the fact that it comes with a lot of tools in the trunk if I ever needed them. I enjoyed driving the car in snow this winter, and had no problems even with all season radials. I plan on having the car for some time so it will receive a lot of tlc.

Greatest Purchase I Have Made.
By Bryan Martin

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle may be the best purchase I have made. The appeal of the Subaru Forester is vast. It meets the needs of many different types of drivers. This car performs very well in many different areas of importance when making a large decision such as a vehicle.

The most important part of this car is its AWD (all wheel drive, all the time) component. This should be appealing to everyone as it gives the driver a greater amount of control and is much safer on difficult surfaces.

It has plenty of storage space in the back and on the rack. This is especially beneficial for the recreational type. When you combine the all-wheel-drive, fuel efficiency, and price of the vehicle, there is no cheaper option for such a utility vehicle as this.

The criteria for which I measured this car fall in line with the types of customers it would attract:

- Small Families: This car is both cheap and spacious. It can accommodate a few kids along with groceries and other items in the hatchback portion. Along with the price being lower than many alternatives, it is very reliable. I have had no issues with it at all thus far.

- Younger Drivers: The price and reliability of the Subaru are both important to this demographic as well. This car has also received a high safety rating. The AWD is also beneficial to this group of people.

- Bad Weather Drivers: The all-wheel-drive is most important to us who drive in bad weather. Whether you are in Minnesota and need just a wintertime car to keep your main daily driver in good condition or you have an important job to do and need to be there under any circumstances, this car will work for you.

To quality my critiques of this car, I must tell you that this is the 9th car that I have owned in 6 years of driving. I am a farmer; this leads me to be hard on cars both because of the work I do and the conditions that I am forced to drive in.

This car has been the greatest purchase I have made. It has saved my lots of time as I have never been stuck in the blizzards or other terrible driving conditions I have faced. I urge those of you who need anything more than a fair-weather car to buy this vehicle. It has saved me a lot of money and I know it will for you too.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!
By jtecho

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i personally love the car, i am a auto enthusiast and this car is just great. it has a very sturdy look and
build quality. mine is 10 years old and has over 120k miles. i have replace the converter once and took it in for annual check ups and maintenance. one major problem is the the head gaskets and the oil. other wise the car is outstanding. the AWD is one of the best in the business and does its job really well.

favorites are the design, the awd, the sturdiness and reliability, and over time you truly understand why subaru owners are so loyac to their brand and their cars.

the engine which has a array of issues such as oil and head gasket problems thank god has been fixed for 2013.

Just not a great car
By karlou

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for ten years (bought new) and almost 130K miles.
Many problems from the start, not the least of which was the flames coming out the tailpipe towards the end of the first year.
Has needed much maintenance and repair over the years, and one important fact about subarus - they rust.
So surprised in this day and age how rusty this car has gotten, and I'm very good about washing the car (including underneath).
Wind noise bad almost from the start, and three trips to dealership never got it better.
Very cheap interior materials, now looking to finally get new and better vehicle.
Never again a Subaru!

Visibility is great, probably my favorite feature over height in ride and cargo room.

Subaru, please figure out how to make a car that doesn't rust this fast!

50,000 km and a huge bill
By kloc

2003 Subaru Forester Wagon XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Forester has been maintained by our dealer since purchased new in late 2002.
From day 1 it has had a coolant leak, a fact that has been pointed out to the dealer at every scheduled service.
The dealer, of course, could not find the source of the coolant lead until after the warranty expired, whereupon we were told that the head gaskets were leaking and the car had developed piston slap to the point where driving the car was ill-advised.

The master tech told me that Subaru has told dealers to ignore the problem until the warranty expires.
Last Subaru I will ever purchase; this was our 7th.