My first Forester
By Casey on
2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This is my first Forester. I have a complaint about the back doors: it would be so much easier to get in and out if the doors would slide from the middle of the side (see mid-80's Stanzas). My older friends have trouble getting in and out. The front seats need to be able to be more upright,not reclining for driving. I have had to add a pillow to keep my back straight. Unfortunately I did not notice this problem in test driving, only when doing my regular driving. The car handles well, but needs to be 2 inches higher for ease of getting out for these old knees. I love the quiet engine, and it handles traffic well.
Favorite Features
I like the sound system, I listen to books on tape and it is just fine for that. The ability to see out of the windows for backing and changing lanes is a big plus. Even with my arthritis I can see that blind corner OK when I took off the back seat headrests.
Suggested Improvements
Raise the curb height about 3 inches, and make it about 14 inches longer and put sliding doors for the back. Better seats-the backs of the driver's seat needs to be adjusted straight up, or more so than the 2002. Don't make it an SUV! nor a Minivan. Don't need a third row seat.