Used 2002 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Still fun to drive after a year
By BKRider

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After a year of ownership, I can still say this a great vehicle. Things I like: 1) Handling...never feels out of control 2) 6 disc CD changer. Standard in the S-Premium and does an admirable job! 3) Overall space. For a smaller family, it fits perfect 4) My neighbors with their huge SUV's have to park outside thir garages and scrape the ice off their windows...ha! Okay...what I don't like: 1) Fuel economy. Rarely have I got over 22 MPG in mixed driving. For that mileage, I would expect a little more oomph...especially up top. 2) Cramped back seats. 4 six footers would be a squeeze. 3) Cupholders, of course.

Favorite Features

Drives like a dream...nimble. S Premium standard features. HUGE sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

A V-6 option. Would probably get the same overall gas mileage and not be as hard on the engine. Bigger back seat.

Family car for 2003
By Frazier

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, plenty of room, handles well in all driving conditions. Excellent view of road while driving.

Favorite Features

Excellent view while driving.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder in front of heat/air vents is a bad design.

Great car
By chadGO5

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Subaru Forester for use as my wife's vehicle...however, it is our primary car for family excursions...so I am "allowed" to drive it sometimes....and I love it. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they decided to put the cupholder where they did on the dashboard. While drinks are in the cupholder, you can't see, or access some of the dash controls. The drink sits right in front of the air vents, so if you have a cold drink and the heat on, the drink is lukewarm in minutes and vice versa...anf finally, if your drink is full and you hit a bump, it spills all down the dashboard over all of your stereo controls.

Favorite Features

mileage, styling, cargo room...I also found it easy to maintain and wash by hand.

Suggested Improvements

cupholder placement seat comfort on long drives

great car
By hodge

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

sold my '93 jeep grand cherokee with all extras and bought the forester. the suburu is far superior in every respect except for interior size. my next car will be another suburu in about 10 years.

My first Forester
By Casey

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Forester. I have a complaint about the back doors: it would be so much easier to get in and out if the doors would slide from the middle of the side (see mid-80's Stanzas). My older friends have trouble getting in and out. The front seats need to be able to be more upright,not reclining for driving. I have had to add a pillow to keep my back straight. Unfortunately I did not notice this problem in test driving, only when doing my regular driving. The car handles well, but needs to be 2 inches higher for ease of getting out for these old knees. I love the quiet engine, and it handles traffic well.

Favorite Features

I like the sound system, I listen to books on tape and it is just fine for that. The ability to see out of the windows for backing and changing lanes is a big plus. Even with my arthritis I can see that blind corner OK when I took off the back seat headrests.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the curb height about 3 inches, and make it about 14 inches longer and put sliding doors for the back. Better seats-the backs of the driver's seat needs to be adjusted straight up, or more so than the 2002. Don't make it an SUV! nor a Minivan. Don't need a third row seat.