Used 2002 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2002 S+ Auto
By Nova Tony

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After two years/20K miles of driving this car, I can say it's been the best value car I've owned -- 100% reliable, very comfortable and reassuring to drive in all types of weather and any road conditions. Hairpin curves on mountain roads to interstates, the car is quick and responsive under all conditions (including the record snow in February). We're buying a 2003 to replace our other car. I test drove the 2004 Turbo, but I've found that the normally aspirated engine gives pleanty of power for mountain and highway passing, and for me the additional turbo power is not worth the extra complexity and premium in gas consumption.

Seat comfort, seat heaters, moon roof, sophisticated AWD system, comparable to that on cars which cost thousands more.

The cup holders are in the most illogical place.

Fun Car
By stacecz

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Subaru. The Forester has been extremely useful and reliable in tackling the Colorado winters and mountains. My husband and I also use the car to haul materials to remodel our home. Many of the design complaints (location of cupholder, no keyless, etc) have been remedied in the 2003 model.

The All Wheel Drive!

Moving cupholder off the front dash as it makes it diffcult to access the heat and air.

Unique and Solid
By Marks

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Almost 2 years of driving my first Subaru have sold me on the brand. This is a great little car. One might wish it to be a little longer, with more legroom front and back, but I picked it out and I knew what I was getting, so no complaints there. My 6'2" height just barely fits the driver's position - a taller person would have trouble. I have been very impressed by the smooth quiet engine. I would say it has not merely adequate, but "plenty" of power for average driving. And the brakes are the best I have ever driven. So far, there has been not one problem requiring dealer attention. A great car for driving in inclement, snowy weather!

Handling,brakes,quietness, engine smoothness, power, build quality, unique styling, great headroom.

1" more front legroom, better mileage.

I'll get another one in 10 or 15 years.
By Stubb

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only car I've ever owned that I feel happy owning. I have never regretted buying it. I look at other cars, and they might be more popular or cuter, but I just like this one. There's just something about it. When it finally dies many years from now, I hope there's something similar to replace it with.

It fits tall people. It has a giant sunroof. The seats heat up.

Better cupholders, more rear-seat legroom.

Subaru is for YOU!
By Alias378

Good

Heated seats/6 disc CD player large front window defrosters

The external body style is geared toward an older audience -- with external adjustments -- this is the vehicle of the future. Also, too low to the ground

• SUV