Used 2002 Subaru Forester L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fun Car
By stacecz

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Subaru. The Forester has been extremely useful and reliable in tackling the Colorado winters and mountains. My husband and I also use the car to haul materials to remodel our home. Many of the design complaints (location of cupholder, no keyless, etc) have been remedied in the 2003 model.

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive!

Suggested Improvements

Moving cupholder off the front dash as it makes it diffcult to access the heat and air.

Unique and Solid
By Marks

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Almost 2 years of driving my first Subaru have sold me on the brand. This is a great little car. One might wish it to be a little longer, with more legroom front and back, but I picked it out and I knew what I was getting, so no complaints there. My 6'2" height just barely fits the driver's position - a taller person would have trouble. I have been very impressed by the smooth quiet engine. I would say it has not merely adequate, but "plenty" of power for average driving. And the brakes are the best I have ever driven. So far, there has been not one problem requiring dealer attention. A great car for driving in inclement, snowy weather!

Favorite Features

Handling,brakes,quietness, engine smoothness, power, build quality, unique styling, great headroom.

Suggested Improvements

1" more front legroom, better mileage.

Family car for 2003
By Frazier

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, plenty of room, handles well in all driving conditions. Excellent view of road while driving.

Favorite Features

Excellent view while driving.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder in front of heat/air vents is a bad design.

Great car
By chadGO5

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Subaru Forester for use as my wife's vehicle...however, it is our primary car for family excursions...so I am "allowed" to drive it sometimes....and I love it. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they decided to put the cupholder where they did on the dashboard. While drinks are in the cupholder, you can't see, or access some of the dash controls. The drink sits right in front of the air vents, so if you have a cold drink and the heat on, the drink is lukewarm in minutes and vice versa...anf finally, if your drink is full and you hit a bump, it spills all down the dashboard over all of your stereo controls.

Favorite Features

mileage, styling, cargo room...I also found it easy to maintain and wash by hand.

Suggested Improvements

cupholder placement seat comfort on long drives

My first Forester
By Casey

2002 Subaru Forester Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Forester. I have a complaint about the back doors: it would be so much easier to get in and out if the doors would slide from the middle of the side (see mid-80's Stanzas). My older friends have trouble getting in and out. The front seats need to be able to be more upright,not reclining for driving. I have had to add a pillow to keep my back straight. Unfortunately I did not notice this problem in test driving, only when doing my regular driving. The car handles well, but needs to be 2 inches higher for ease of getting out for these old knees. I love the quiet engine, and it handles traffic well.

Favorite Features

I like the sound system, I listen to books on tape and it is just fine for that. The ability to see out of the windows for backing and changing lanes is a big plus. Even with my arthritis I can see that blind corner OK when I took off the back seat headrests.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the curb height about 3 inches, and make it about 14 inches longer and put sliding doors for the back. Better seats-the backs of the driver's seat needs to be adjusted straight up, or more so than the 2002. Don't make it an SUV! nor a Minivan. Don't need a third row seat.